Chilly Cornish Cross. Meaties Round 3!

Have you raised meat birds with night temps under freezing?

• Total voters
Brought the little guys inside last night. Two baby gates and a dresser as barrier later, my loft/room has become a chick sanctuary. Everyone survived the night. Eating and drinking voraciously this morning. My dog's a mess (whining a lot) but my wife's still here so that's a plus!!

To help keep the heat in the brooder, maybe cover it with a sheet of wood or some planks and leave a small section uncovered for air exchange. That is what I am going to do on mine when I get them. Cover 1/2 to 3/4 and keep it open over the food and water.
Mine is inside but I try to keep the heat down inside. I bought 2 thermometers to see what the temps were under the brooder and on the feed side. On brooder setting (tallest height on the legs) is 94º, other side where the feed is 72 with the top open.
I just covered 3/4 of the top, 1/2 of the sides are open so I will see what the temp is in a little while. The sun is coming in the window on it through the side so I have to think of a way to either leave it or cover the side. I'm thinking of leaving it so they can sunbathe .

Brought the little guys inside last night. Two baby gates and a dresser as barrier later, my loft/room has become a chick sanctuary. Everyone survived the night. Eating and drinking voraciously this morning. My dog's a mess (whining a lot) but my wife's still here so that's a plus!!
Wife will not like the chick dust much. Just a few chicks for a couple of weeks is not as bad as it could be . . .

She has been pretty cool I got to give it to her. It is supposed to warm up to the 40/50s in the day and around 32 at night in a few days. Should be a short stay inside for them.
I have had pretty good luck in the She Shed brooder with those type of temps. The milk-house heater kicks on to keep the general temp up so the brooder heaters do not have to work too hard. Even 1 week old is lots hardier than freshly shipped chicks.

Been a while since I updated this. After the initial freezing temps and deaths things have been going smoothly. I have not had the time or desire to weigth everyone but I have 8 birds at 5 1/2 weeks old (hatched 3/1) and another 8 that I got about a week and a half later at TSC who are 4 weeks old. Everyone has been living together and free feeding their little (overworked) hearts out. They moved outside last week and are putting on some nice weight. I just started limiting feed today to 12 on 12 off. I plan to process the first 8 the last week of April and the other 8 after that.
20210409_171831.jpg

20210409_171837.jpg

Other than the typical ugly patchy feathers, I am happy with how these birds are coming along. Looking forward to filling the pantry.

Been a while since I updated this. After the initial freezing temps and deaths things have been going smoothly. I have not had the time or desire to weigth everyone but I have 8 birds at 5 1/2 weeks old (hatched 3/1) and another 8 that I got about a week and a half later at TSC who are 4 weeks old. Everyone has been living together and free feeding their little (overworked) hearts out. They moved outside last week and are putting on some nice weight. I just started limiting feed today to 12 on 12 off. I plan to process the first 8 the last week of April and the other 8 after that.
View attachment 2607482
View attachment 2607489
Other than the typical ugly patchy feathers, I am happy with how these birds are coming along. Looking forward to filling the pantry.
Looks like they are eating well! Doing their job, not meant to look pretty.

Exactly. I am somewhat excited to process these birds...I bought a yard bird plucker today! They had a couple in stock in the store in TSC when I went this morning for feed. Had to scoop one up! Should make processing SO MUCH EASIER!
I know! All day job for just 2 drakes.:barnieNext batch of ducks, I am getting one!

Back
Top Bottom