Chilly Cornish Cross. Meaties Round 3!

Have you raised meat birds with night temps under freezing?

• Total voters

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Just got my first batch of meaties for the year. 26 Ross 308 from Freedom Ranger hatchery. It's a little colder than any other time I have had chicks, so my setup is a bit different. Hopefully it works!

I am brooding in my enclosed former layer coop. It is 8x4. I think this will offer more protection from elements and predators than my open front wire bottom brooder. I also switched up my heating to one of the TSC Producer's Pride brooder/heater units. I actually really lucked out and found this last lonely unit on clearance for $20 at my local tsc. Bought the $3 warranty, plugged it in for a few days. Seems like it will do the trick. I also provided a box for them to huddle in if they so desire. Vitamins McMurray's broiler booster) in the water and 20% dumor starter grower available when they arrived.
20210304_082834.jpg

20210304_083026.jpg

They were very loud/cold at first. I had to basically shove them all under the heat plate at once and block the sides off for a sec. Once they started to warm up after a few seconds, they seemed to understand where the warmth was at.
20210304_083020.jpg

Hoping to have these nuggets on grass in 3-4 weeks. Since I decided to keep all 26 this time instead of selling a few, I am going to build another A frame tractor identical to the one I have and just run them next to each other. I plan on fencing in about a half acre in the next month or so for meat bird rotation! Hopefully these will be the first ones on it.
Thanks for reading!

Do you have a thread about your Red Ranger breeding? I may be very interested to try that in the future.
I've shared my experience here and there in other meat bird threads. Here is a re-cap. Maybe one day I'll get around to an article, or at least a separate thread.

I am going on my second year of hatching out meat birds, rather than buying CX chicks in bulk, so I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me.

So far, what has been the easiest for me, has been to simply breed my Naked Neck rooster -- who is a nice-sized and nice-shaped bird, but by no means huge -- to a hatchery stock red or slow-white broiler. The offspring have dressed out in the 4 to 5 lb range around 14 weeks, and the hens in the 3 to 4.5 lb range at 5 to 7 months. Easy to raise, flavorful birds. What I like best is that I can restock my freezer by collecting eggs from my backyard and putting them in the incubator (or under a broody).

You will need to acquire and replace your breeder broilers every couple of years. For that, I've been buying shipped hatching eggs from Dunlap or Moyer's. In fact, I currently have 5 red broiler hens running around my back yard and I'm in the process of deciding which 1 or 2 will by my keepers to breed this year.

Attached is a picture of my rooster at 1 year old. In front of him is a young, slow white broiler hen . Following are live and butchered pictures of one of the offspring on the two shown. The other slightly larger bird is a cross between the same rooster and a red ranger hen. BTW: the pullet in the background is also the offspring of the NN and SWB. Butchered at 18 weeks at 3.3 lbs. I think the pullets are actually better eating, taste wise, then the cockerels.
IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2807.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg

This project is not without challenges, and takes a little more work and planning than raising the one-and-done batches of CXs. In some ways I still miss the convenience. But, not dealing with the shipped chicks is huge for me. Plus, I've really grown to like the additional flavor and texture of a more heritage-style bird.

Last edited:
Been a while since I updated this. After the initial freezing temps and deaths things have been going smoothly. I have not had the time or desire to weigth everyone but I have 8 birds at 5 1/2 weeks old (hatched 3/1) and another 8 that I got about a week and a half later at TSC who are 4 weeks old. Everyone has been living together and free feeding their little (overworked) hearts out. They moved outside last week and are putting on some nice weight. I just started limiting feed today to 12 on 12 off. I plan to process the first 8 the last week of April and the other 8 after that.
20210409_171831.jpg

20210409_171837.jpg

Other than the typical ugly patchy feathers, I am happy with how these birds are coming along. Looking forward to filling the pantry.

Congratulations!
Thanks. I was worried about shipping in the cold but everyone is okay! They are currently contentedly peeping under the heater. It is too funny to watch them zoom out, eat a little, then forget where they are, chirp terrifiedly, and zoom back under the plate. It never gets old!

it seems that the risk of a well clamped heat lamp for the first few days or a week would be minimal compared to the risk of losses in the 50% range

Do not use that clamp. Use wire or chain to hold it in place. That clamp can fail. Wire or chain it up so it cannot fall. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use wire or chain.

@Morrigan Thank you very much for sharing your insight. I am coming to the conclusion you are right about the heat lamp. It is often villianized and 90% of the time I think heat plates, even this heater that failed me this time specifically, would have been sufficient. But for these 20 degree nights the first nights they arrive, a heat lamp would probably be beneficial. Especially with the newer/safer shielded bulb versions, it seems that the risk of a well clamped heat lamp for the first few days or a week would be minimal compared to the risk of losses in the 50% range. Next time (if I ever get chicks this early again!) I will likely do that.

Do you have a thread about your Red Ranger breeding? I may be very interested to try that in the future.
This thread is informative on this subject:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crossing-my-red-ranger-hens.1281099/page-73#post-21781265
I have a couple of NN cross hens from this line, grew pretty fast. The grey hen on the left in this photo is one.

Attachments

• IMG_5358.JPG
    IMG_5358.JPG
    617.4 KB · Views: 4
Seems good for now. This is what I have going on. They seem to be behaving desirably.
20210305_143120.jpg

Seems like the standing up black heater and the light are producing a nice little vortex of heat in between them. Some are still opting for under the brooder plate. And some are eating and drinking. Trying to decide if I should bring them in tonight.,
Main things stopping me are I live in a 700sq ft cabin. We have NO DOORS! Not even the bathroom (we have a curtain). I also have a very anxious/strong/prey driven pitbull. And a bit of a short tempered wife...you see my predicament.

Brought the little guys inside last night. Two baby gates and a dresser as barrier later, my loft/room has become a chick sanctuary. Everyone survived the night. Eating and drinking voraciously this morning. My dog's a mess (whining a lot) but my wife's still here so that's a plus!!

Back
Top Bottom