Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
I have plenty of Permethrin, I wasn't sure if it worked on ants or not. I get mine off of Amazon. Not sure which is cheaper to be honest but when I price compare other things I often find TSC to be a little on the expensive side. Next time I get it I am buying it from the Garden Shop I sell plants to. I like the owner (he showed me how to work with plants so I could start a nursery that supplies him) and regardless of price I buy from him. He was also the guy who told me that Permethrin is derived from marigolds and that planting Marigolds around a Chicken Run may prevent mites. I have chickens on both sides of all my fences unless its a fence at the property line so Marigolds didn't really fit my situation.

The kind I have is working pretty good. I mix up a batch and then attack the ant hill's with it. I flood the holes they use in it too. It forces them out of the hole's but by the time they exit, it already got them anyway's.

Good you got rid of lots of chickens, and eggs ... and hopefully made new friends... and future buyers, repeats are the best! :)

My suggestion is for "the next time" ... is make your sign(s) in advance ... plus maybe make up a "T" shirt (or a separate sign) that reads something like "I'm mostly DEAF, but ... I read lips" ... I think most people will be very accommodating in communicating with you.

I get that one that I mentioned. It kill's many insect's. It's a concentrate that you mix with water, making a new batch for each time. Follow the instruction's on the back of the bottle. I use 1/2 oz. per 2 gallon's of water.
I have it here for my coop.

Good you got rid of lots of chickens, and eggs ... and hopefully made new friends... and future buyers, repeats are the best! :)

My suggestion is for "the next time" ... is make your sign(s) in advance ... plus maybe make up a "T" shirt (or a separate sign) that reads something like "I'm mostly DEAF, but ... I read lips" ... I think most people will be very accommodating in communicating with you.
A sign notifying that i am hearing impaired is a sign that also says "Easy Target, Rob me" Although I felt pretty comfortable there. People parked on both sides of me probably would have said something if people tried to take something while my back is turned or when I am reading lips. I have a card the VA gave me that explains my hearing loss but I only use it when I am pulled over by a cop to avoid them from getting trigger happy if I "refuse" to follow a lawful command. Cops do shoot deaf people for that.
I considered making the signs before I went however I didn't know what price to go by because Craigslist is fairly empty these days and I didn't have a place to go to estimate value. I thought I would have time to look around and see what other people are charging. I did however know what I was going to charge for hatching eggs and should have made that sign before I showed up. I was a bit busy and delegated some tasks to do on location not realizing I was as busy there as I was at home. Lesson learned, going to make the signs at home from now on. and I am going to make sign holders on my rabbit cages that I used. I figured I would make rabbit cages because I can sell them later on down the road when I do not need Chicken Transports. Cages designed for rabbits sell faster than Chicken Transports do. I also love making Rabbit cages. I thought about making Rabbit Cages there custom sized but I can't talk to people and make a cage at the same time due to the hearing loss. If I had a partner to sell with I would. I really love making rabbit cages. However I noticed that people there needed some cheap and easy to carry chickens home with and I am thinking Next Spring when they do this again maybe I should design a Collapsable Chicken Transporter out of Chicken Wire that is easy to carry and inexpensive to make. I will be tinkering around this winter to see if I can make any for under $5 so I can sell them for $5. I saw a need for them. Or maybe just buy a stack of 50 to 70 cent boxes and sell them for a dollar a piece.

@BlueBaby @igorsMistress do you guys have mite issues in your climate? I only have them when its super wet here. When its dry Chicken mites and lice are no where to be found.

The biggest problem that I get after rain's from our monsoon is ant's and flies. Some get mosquito's also. As far as lice or mites goes, wild bird's can carry them in. Although we call them chicken lice or mites, they can be on any poultry or other types of bird's.

@BlueBaby @igorsMistress do you guys have mite issues in your climate? I only have them when its super wet here. When its dry Chicken mites and lice are no where to be found.

I used to have a problem with birds getting into my coop and I did have problems after we had a particularly wet Spring that year.

CX age: Week 8. Rationed Feed vs Free Feed
IMG_2792.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG

Comparing my free feeding CX with my Rationed feed CX, the Free Feeder is a male and the rationed feed are females so the male is going to be bigger anyways but this is a pretty significant size difference.
This wasn't a designed experiment or anything like that, Its just something I have the opportunity to observe. I am eating the male and breeding the females. I had 3 each and this guy is the last one. The Buddy Birds have been removed because the female CX do not need them anymore and I felt so bad for them because they didn't need rationed feed. I had Buddy Birds for the males too but they didn't need them. I just needed a place to put them so I figured why not keep them with the meat birds and then I can see the difference in the Buddy birds with free feed and the ones with rationed feed.
----
Buddy Birds age: 9 weeks
IMG_2845.JPG

(Ayam Cemani x Red Ranger) The closer bird was the free feed bird, the further bird was the rationed feed bird. The Free Feed birds were in tight quarters with meat birds, they seem more aggressive than the rationed fed birds. I have not seen the aggression but the rationed feed birds are constantly hiding from them. And looking for ways out of the pen. Comparison pictures are very hard to take due to this. I believe both are female because the males would not have the Fibro Trait.
IMG_2840.JPG

3/4 Dorkings, (Dorking x Red Ranger) x (Dorking).. I marked their eggs Dork-O because Dork-X was already taken. This is the closest of a picture I can take. Not a very good comparison picture but the Free feed bird is in the corner and the Rationed feed is under the feeder. I can assure you the farther one is significantly larger. He wouldn't fit under the feeder so easily. I actually lowered the feed right after this picture so the rationed feed birds could get easier access to it because they likely need feed more than the larger birds. I couldn't get a picture of them closer together. I actually had to set this one up. The 3/4 Dorkings have this problem a little more than the AC x RR birds. Although the AC x RR's tend to hang with those who they were raised with but when they encounter the other crowd they themselves are not so reactive. As I said I have not seen the aggression I have only seen the fear in the rationed fed 3/4 Dorkings. I also have 2 more of the "Dork-O's" that were red that I kept with my normal juvenile flock and if I can 1 of each in a picture I will. They are free ranging the nursery right now and I doubt I can catch them. I am going to tag these birds with leg bands and let them out. I need to know they are not the other crossing of 3/4 Dorkings for further selective breeding purposes.

Going to answer @Molpet in the next post.

Those with black meat. Were the bones and organs black/ gray?
Just read an article https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...NpWo9nOqfwMolLGkA6JBfhEb3UsT2bx_2sd-ioEJkS9XY

I remember the Testicles being very large and black or dark grey. I recall the Guts being darker than normal but not black. I wasn't exactly making mental notes on it because I had not noticed that the meat was grey until I processed the next bird and the color difference was so much different. The bird having a bright red comb and waddles I was stunned to notice it. The bones were black in most spots but a few places they were Greyish white (or normal colored). The smaller the bone the darker it seemed.

Back
Top Bottom