Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
I'm glad that it all went well for you there.

We are having a couple of a bit cooler day's here for the next few day's, so I have been out there attacking the anthill's again. They were rebuilding after our last rain.
What do you use to take care of ants? In the past I have used Bleach dump it down their hole and they never return. However that was when I lived in a concrete jungle (city with no plants just sidewalks and roads) I do not recommend it any place outside of a city. In fact I would not use it in a city now as I have become more environmentally concerned.

I just sold the mixed breeds and chickens that would not normally sell for $5. I sold decent birds for $10 to $20 but all the $20's ended up being pairs and since I will give away free roosters anyways thats pretty much just a $20 Hen/Pullet that came with a free Rooster. Unless it has a lot of meat or its a prized breed a rooster should be free. Make money on the Females.

Still seems like a very big bargain for the buyers to me. Don't need anything but a mixed breed to have a nice laying flock.

Sold out of Chickens in 2 hours. I never even had a chance to count my chickens to know how many I sold. Turns out people were showing off their best chickens and charging a lot of money. I was selling my chickens much lower and some were just mixed breeds. So as soon as people found out I had $5 Chickens I was swarmed by Mexicans willing to buy, as soon as people found out I had Ayam Cemanis (although a bit pricier I was swarmed by Asians. They bought up the males first because I just had them for $10, the Females took a little longer at $40 a piece. before I knew it I had only hatching eggs left and I hadn't even had enough time to make my sign with the prices to let people know I even had them in the cooler I sold half of my hatching eggs and packed up my van an hour early. The Naked Neck Chicks (2 for $5) sold faster than the $5 Ayam cemani Chicks. I gave away my Ayam Cemani Culls to anyone who bought something. ... it was a struggle with my hearing loss because people turn their head away when speaking and I can not read their lips when they do that. But no one was intimidated by me walking up to their face and reading their lips which can be an issue in some crowds. I avoid any crowd where Alcohol is served and it was an alcohol free event. No beer tents! It was also a morning event so its just a better crowd of people when its a morning event and not a night event. Its not easy to read lips on someone who has been drinking and drinkers become hostile if you can not hear them. Sober people in general become frustrated but drinkers become hostile. I need to go to more of these events an relearn how to socialize with folks as its a skill I lost as I lost my hearing.

Great result! That out to free up some coop space as well as your time in having to care for all those chickens.

Great result! That out to free up some coop space as well as your time in having to care for all those chickens.
exactly why I sold them, I need space for all these breeding projects I am in the middle of. Turns out if you are crossing and selectively culling, you need multiple pens for each project and I didn't put enough thought into it.

What do you use to take care of ants? In the past I have used Bleach dump it down their hole and they never return. However that was when I lived in a concrete jungle (city with no plants just sidewalks and roads) I do not recommend it any place outside of a city. In fact I would not use it in a city now as I have become more environmentally concerned.

Gordon's Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray available at TSC. I bought a 1 gallon concentrate, and you add water to it.

Gordon's Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray available at TSC. I bought a 1 gallon concentrate, and you add water to it.
I have plenty of Permethrin, I wasn't sure if it worked on ants or not. I get mine off of Amazon. Not sure which is cheaper to be honest but when I price compare other things I often find TSC to be a little on the expensive side. Next time I get it I am buying it from the Garden Shop I sell plants to. I like the owner (he showed me how to work with plants so I could start a nursery that supplies him) and regardless of price I buy from him. He was also the guy who told me that Permethrin is derived from marigolds and that planting Marigolds around a Chicken Run may prevent mites. I have chickens on both sides of all my fences unless its a fence at the property line so Marigolds didn't really fit my situation.

@BlueBaby I didn't know permethrine worked on ants. Good to know!

I get that one that I mentioned. It kill's many insect's. It's a concentrate that you mix with water, making a new batch for each time. Follow the instruction's on the back of the bottle. I use 1/2 oz. per 2 gallon's of water.

Back
Top Bottom