Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
Thanks! Egg are the bator now, and bator is turn on. I broke one egg getting it out of the styrofoam. :rolleyes: I replaced it with an egg from my big orpington that I've seen my cockerel mating, or at least trying to mate. I'm interested to see if he's been getting the job done. Time to mark the calendar and wait.

Last edited:
I got a report back from the guy I gave the Black Drumsticks to. He very animated when telling me how good it was. This guy is a hunter and said previous hindquarters I gave him were "OK" or just a boring "Good". He said the meat from the 20 week old Rooster was more tender than the 7 week old CX hind quarters I gave him at the same time. I still haven't eaten the breast meat yet. I need to hurry up and do this but I just haven't had time. I guess I am making Chicken tacos tonight but I am eating the CX breast meat up first. Maybe Saturday night I will be getting to grey breast meat tomorrow night I am prepping for Carolina Chicken Stock and going to bed as soon as the last coops is locked up so I will be too busy to cook meat.

It's still weird hearing you talk about "grey" meat. It's interesting that your neighbor thought the grey legs were so good. Maybe there is a reason why the black-skinned chickens are considered such a delicacy in asian cuisine.

We brined and roasted the 3 lb NN rooster for dinner last night. It was very good, but we both thought not quite as good as the dorking rooster had been. My husband is now very keen on me getting some dorkings and working them into the meat program. The last dorkings I got were such hatchery birds from My Pet Chicken, but they were surprising robust and good growers. Really wish I had kept a dorking rooster now.

I got a report back from the guy I gave the Black Drumsticks to. He very animated when telling me how good it was. This guy is a hunter and said previous hindquarters I gave him were "OK" or just a boring "Good". He said the meat from the 20 week old Rooster was more tender than the 7 week old CX hind quarters I gave him at the same time. I still haven't eaten the breast meat yet. I need to hurry up and do this but I just haven't had time. I guess I am making Chicken tacos tonight but I am eating the CX breast meat up first. Maybe Saturday night I will be getting to grey breast meat tomorrow night I am prepping for Carolina Chicken Stock and going to bed as soon as the last coops is locked up so I will be too busy to cook meat.

Good luck at the Chicken Stock! Tell us all about it later.

20190920_154102.jpg

@Compost King I got a side by side pic of the chicks today. They'll be 4 weeks on Monday.

Good luck at the Chicken Stock! Tell us all about it later.
Sold out of Chickens in 2 hours. I never even had a chance to count my chickens to know how many I sold. Turns out people were showing off their best chickens and charging a lot of money. I was selling my chickens much lower and some were just mixed breeds. So as soon as people found out I had $5 Chickens I was swarmed by Mexicans willing to buy, as soon as people found out I had Ayam Cemanis (although a bit pricier I was swarmed by Asians. They bought up the males first because I just had them for $10, the Females took a little longer at $40 a piece. before I knew it I had only hatching eggs left and I hadn't even had enough time to make my sign with the prices to let people know I even had them in the cooler I sold half of my hatching eggs and packed up my van an hour early. The Naked Neck Chicks (2 for $5) sold faster than the $5 Ayam cemani Chicks. I gave away my Ayam Cemani Culls to anyone who bought something. ... it was a struggle with my hearing loss because people turn their head away when speaking and I can not read their lips when they do that. But no one was intimidated by me walking up to their face and reading their lips which can be an issue in some crowds. I avoid any crowd where Alcohol is served and it was an alcohol free event. No beer tents! It was also a morning event so its just a better crowd of people when its a morning event and not a night event. Its not easy to read lips on someone who has been drinking and drinkers become hostile if you can not hear them. Sober people in general become frustrated but drinkers become hostile. I need to go to more of these events an relearn how to socialize with folks as its a skill I lost as I lost my hearing.

A great success!! I still can't get over the fact that you sell for $5.00 and even give some away.
I just sold the mixed breeds and chickens that would not normally sell for $5. I sold decent birds for $10 to $20 but all the $20's ended up being pairs and since I will give away free roosters anyways thats pretty much just a $20 Hen/Pullet that came with a free Rooster. Unless it has a lot of meat or its a prized breed a rooster should be free. Make money on the Females.

Sold out of Chickens in 2 hours. I never even had a chance to count my chickens to know how many I sold. Turns out people were showing off their best chickens and charging a lot of money. I was selling my chickens much lower and some were just mixed breeds. So as soon as people found out I had $5 Chickens I was swarmed by Mexicans willing to buy, as soon as people found out I had Ayam Cemanis (although a bit pricier I was swarmed by Asians. They bought up the males first because I just had them for $10, the Females took a little longer at $40 a piece. before I knew it I had only hatching eggs left and I hadn't even had enough time to make my sign with the prices to let people know I even had them in the cooler I sold half of my hatching eggs and packed up my van an hour early. The Naked Neck Chicks (2 for $5) sold faster than the $5 Ayam cemani Chicks. I gave away my Ayam Cemani Culls to anyone who bought something. ... it was a struggle with my hearing loss because people turn their head away when speaking and I can not read their lips when they do that. But no one was intimidated by me walking up to their face and reading their lips which can be an issue in some crowds. I avoid any crowd where Alcohol is served and it was an alcohol free event. No beer tents! It was also a morning event so its just a better crowd of people when its a morning event and not a night event. Its not easy to read lips on someone who has been drinking and drinkers become hostile if you can not hear them. Sober people in general become frustrated but drinkers become hostile. I need to go to more of these events an relearn how to socialize with folks as its a skill I lost as I lost my hearing.

I'm glad that it all went well for you there.

We are having a couple of a bit cooler day's here for the next few day's, so I have been out there attacking the anthill's again. They were rebuilding after our last rain.

Back
Top Bottom