Chilly Cornish Cross. Meaties Round 3!

Have you raised meat birds with night temps under freezing?

• Total voters
I have always used a heat lamp, a big hot one in the 80's, in a 2 car garage. I hung it from the loft joists. This was in hot country, Riverside county CA. We had warnings if there was frost in the forecast, bad for the orange trees. I used a chain to be sure it was secure. I made about a 5' radius circle/corral out of cut open cardboard boxes. We did not know any better than to use newspaper for bedding. Broilers liked it. That is the last time I did Cornish-X, they were ok with this set up. The hard part was not killing them with too much heat in the summer.
Now, I got these nice screw-in heaters from Amazon. They are meant for reptiles, but I like them for chicks. I got 100, 75 & 50 watt versions, so I could change them as it warms up and they get more feathers. I use 2 so incase one cheap china-made thing burns out, there is still heat. The second pic shows the cardboard box I used early in the season last year. I had to cut out the top on one side to get it cooler.
I actually just dug out one of CHEs from my attic. I used it last year in a grow tent and to brood some chicks in a sterilite tub. Unfortunately, I turned it on and it started smoking where it had chipped. So promptly put it in the trash. I just added a 27w soft white regular lightbulb in one of those metal domes to the brooder about 8 inches above their heads. Now they have the coop heater, a brooder plate, and that lightbulb adding a bit of heat. These remaining ten are being kind of loud but they are eating and drinking and returning under the plate. Hopefully these THREE heating units can keep them going.

Very sorry to hear this. Did they look lively coming out of the shipping box? 60 hours shipping in cold weather might have really weakened them. I think adding extra heat is a good idea. Really pulling for your remaining chicks.

@Morrigan Thank you very much for sharing your insight. I am coming to the conclusion you are right about the heat lamp. It is often villianized and 90% of the time I think heat plates, even this heater that failed me this time specifically, would have been sufficient. But for these 20 degree nights the first nights they arrive, a heat lamp would probably be beneficial. Especially with the newer/safer shielded bulb versions, it seems that the risk of a well clamped heat lamp for the first few days or a week would be minimal compared to the risk of losses in the 50% range. Next time (if I ever get chicks this early again!) I will likely do that.

Do you have a thread about your Red Ranger breeding? I may be very interested to try that in the future.

Seems good for now. This is what I have going on. They seem to be behaving desirably.
View attachment 2556210
Seems like the standing up black heater and the light are producing a nice little vortex of heat in between them. Some are still opting for under the brooder plate. And some are eating and drinking. Trying to decide if I should bring them in tonight.,
Main things stopping me are I live in a 700sq ft cabin. We have NO DOORS! Not even the bathroom (we have a curtain). I also have a very anxious/strong/prey driven pitbull. And a bit of a short tempered wife...you see my predicament.
I might use a space heater that kicks on and off to keep the ambient temp up. I have done that in my un-insulated "She Shed" Brooder, it beats chicks in the house! What's a few more Watts? :lau I use a "milk house" heater metal and less than $20.00 to keep the shed around 50-60.

Attachments

• IMG_4639.JPG
    IMG_4639.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 3
I might use a space heater that kicks on and off to keep the ambient temp up. I have done that in my un-insulated "She Shed" Brooder, it beats chicks in the house! What's a few more Watts? :lau I use a "milk house" heater metal and less than $20.00 to keep the shed around 50-60.
Going to have to grab one at TSC next time i'm there

I actually run on solar power. Makes it a bit more complicated and I need to be somewhat strategic about what I run and when but in general, my energy is "free". Not counting the $15,000 system of course. Woulda been 30 but my brother in law and I installed it ourselves. 3600 watt array. Only using about half right now feeding 48v battery bank. Hoping to use a panel or two to power the layer coop in the next couple months.
Nice! Get your money's worth and use it to keep those chicks out of the house!

Back
Top Bottom