Chilly Cornish Cross. Meaties Round 3!

Have you raised meat birds with night temps under freezing?

• Total voters
I actually just dug out one of CHEs from my attic. I used it last year in a grow tent and to brood some chicks in a sterilite tub. Unfortunately, I turned it on and it started smoking where it had chipped. So promptly put it in the trash. I just added a 27w soft white regular lightbulb in one of those metal domes to the brooder about 8 inches above their heads. Now they have the coop heater, a brooder plate, and that lightbulb adding a bit of heat. These remaining ten are being kind of loud but they are eating and drinking and returning under the plate. Hopefully these THREE heating units can keep them going.
That 27 watts is pretty low wattage for heating. Birds will be attracted to the light, can you put it near the other heat sources so that they can move over and be warmer?

Seems good for now. This is what I have going on. They seem to be behaving desirably.
20210305_143120.jpg

Seems like the standing up black heater and the light are producing a nice little vortex of heat in between them. Some are still opting for under the brooder plate. And some are eating and drinking. Trying to decide if I should bring them in tonight.,
Main things stopping me are I live in a 700sq ft cabin. We have NO DOORS! Not even the bathroom (we have a curtain). I also have a very anxious/strong/prey driven pitbull. And a bit of a short tempered wife...you see my predicament.

Seems good for now. This is what I have going on. They seem to be behaving desirably.
View attachment 2556210
Seems like the standing up black heater and the light are producing a nice little vortex of heat in between them. Some are still opting for under the brooder plate. And some are eating and drinking. Trying to decide if I should bring them in tonight.,
Main things stopping me are I live in a 700sq ft cabin. We have NO DOORS! Not even the bathroom (we have a curtain). I also have a very anxious/strong/prey driven pitbull. And a bit of a short tempered wife...you see my predicament.
I might use a space heater that kicks on and off to keep the ambient temp up. I have done that in my un-insulated "She Shed" Brooder, it beats chicks in the house! What's a few more Watts? :lau I use a "milk house" heater metal and less than $20.00 to keep the shed around 50-60.

Attachments

• IMG_4639.JPG
    IMG_4639.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 3
I might use a space heater that kicks on and off to keep the ambient temp up. I have done that in my un-insulated "She Shed" Brooder, it beats chicks in the house! What's a few more Watts? :lau I use a "milk house" heater metal and less than $20.00 to keep the shed around 50-60.
Going to have to grab one at TSC next time i'm there

A higher power bill -- beats the alternatives you mentioned!:p
I actually run on solar power. Makes it a bit more complicated and I need to be somewhat strategic about what I run and when but in general, my energy is "free". Not counting the $15,000 system of course. Woulda been 30 but my brother in law and I installed it ourselves. 3600 watt array. Only using about half right now feeding 48v battery bank. Hoping to use a panel or two to power the layer coop in the next couple months.

I actually run on solar power. Makes it a bit more complicated and I need to be somewhat strategic about what I run and when but in general, my energy is "free". Not counting the $15,000 system of course. Woulda been 30 but my brother in law and I installed it ourselves. 3600 watt array. Only using about half right now feeding 48v battery bank. Hoping to use a panel or two to power the layer coop in the next couple months.
Nice! Get your money's worth and use it to keep those chicks out of the house!

Back
Top Bottom