Chilly Cornish Cross. Meaties Round 3!

Have you raised meat birds with night temps under freezing?

• Total voters

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Just got my first batch of meaties for the year. 26 Ross 308 from Freedom Ranger hatchery. It's a little colder than any other time I have had chicks, so my setup is a bit different. Hopefully it works!

I am brooding in my enclosed former layer coop. It is 8x4. I think this will offer more protection from elements and predators than my open front wire bottom brooder. I also switched up my heating to one of the TSC Producer's Pride brooder/heater units. I actually really lucked out and found this last lonely unit on clearance for $20 at my local tsc. Bought the $3 warranty, plugged it in for a few days. Seems like it will do the trick. I also provided a box for them to huddle in if they so desire. Vitamins McMurray's broiler booster) in the water and 20% dumor starter grower available when they arrived.
20210304_082834.jpg

20210304_083026.jpg

They were very loud/cold at first. I had to basically shove them all under the heat plate at once and block the sides off for a sec. Once they started to warm up after a few seconds, they seemed to understand where the warmth was at.
20210304_083020.jpg

Hoping to have these nuggets on grass in 3-4 weeks. Since I decided to keep all 26 this time instead of selling a few, I am going to build another A frame tractor identical to the one I have and just run them next to each other. I plan on fencing in about a half acre in the next month or so for meat bird rotation! Hopefully these will be the first ones on it.
Thanks for reading!

Congratulations!
Thanks. I was worried about shipping in the cold but everyone is okay! They are currently contentedly peeping under the heater. It is too funny to watch them zoom out, eat a little, then forget where they are, chirp terrifiedly, and zoom back under the plate. It never gets old!

Thanks. I was worried about shipping in the cold but everyone is okay! They are currently contentedly peeping under the heater. It is too funny to watch them zoom out, eat a little, then forget where they are, chirp terrifiedly, and zoom back under the plate. It never gets old!
I just loved them at this age!

Just had my first failure to thrive. Not unusual but never easy. If I get ONE MORE I am putting my rent-a-coop brooder plate back in there. Just in case.
I hate those earlier losses as well. It is most likely a fallout of shipping stress. A lot has happened already to those chicks between hatching and arriving to the safety of your brooder.

I hate those earlier losses as well. It is most likely a fallout of shipping stress. A lot has happened already to those chicks between hatching and arriving to the safety of your brooder.
Yea they were on the road for about 60 hours! Appreciate you reaching out. When I left for work at 4 all was well.

Back
Top Bottom