Chinchilla dust for quail?

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
I picked up a canister of chinchilla dust that was in a "free" stuff box at my local humane society, it's made/produced by LM animal farms. The ingredients list just says "Fuller's Earth." Any thoughts?

I used to use it for my coturnix adults. It got expensive though
smile.png
Now I use oyster shells and sand
smile.png

Go ahead try it out, they will love it!

The only problem I could see with it is that it is supposed to be really fine....so they might kick up a dust storm while using it. Other than that, it should be fine
lol.png

Quote:
lau.gif

I have plastic wrapping the end of the cage where the sand box is and I still have sand all over the place!
gig.gif

Thank goodness they are in a room just for birds. Now all I need to do is learn to not go in there in my socks! Oh the mess I track out into the rest of the house! LOL!!

Those chin boxes would be perfect for keeping the dust in the bath though. My Aunt and Uncle ranched chinchillas in the early 90's when they were really big, I know all about that mess. The volcanic dust was/is supposed to be best for the furs, but quail are another ball game so I don't know.

Last edited:
Quote:

lau.gif

I have plastic wrapping the end of the cage where the sand box is and I still have sand all over the place!
gig.gif

Thank goodness they are in a room just for birds. Now all I need to do is learn to not go in there in my socks! Oh the mess I track out into the rest of the house! LOL!!
I used dust bath for my quails and dust covers everything within a 5 feet area.... And right now i still have them in a clear plastic tote that's about 18 inches high, and the lid i have cut out in the center with chicken wire attached... So i guess when they took around in it and then they go crazy flashing there winds it causes the dust to go thru the top.

My first button quail from my first hatch, the only one that hatched, 15 it if 20 I'm guessing weren't for cause they were still be yolk after 22 days. But that quail is almost 8 weeks... We've called him JEFFY, but today i had to change his name cause i found 2 eggs in his cage. 😂

I used dust bath for my quails and dust covers everything within a 5 feet area.... And right now i still have them in a clear plastic tote that's about 18 inches high, and the lid i have cut out in the center with chicken wire attached... So i guess when they took around in it and then they go crazy flashing there winds it causes the dust to go thru the top.

My first button quail from my first hatch, the only one that hatched, 15 out of 20 I'm guessing weren't fertile cause they were still just yolk after 22 days. But that quail is almost 8 weeks... We've called him JEFFY, but today i had to change his name cause i found 2 eggs in his cage

Back
Top Bottom