Chinchilla dust for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dingo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up a canister of chinchilla dust that was in a "free" stuff box at my local humane society, it's made/produced by LM animal farms. The ingredients list just says "Fuller's Earth." Any thoughts?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I used to use it for my coturnix adults. It got expensive though [​IMG] Now I use oyster shells and sand [​IMG]

Go ahead try it out, they will love it!

3. Dingo

Thanks quaillady. I figured it was probly safe thats why I grabbed it, but better to be safe. [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The only problem I could see with it is that it is supposed to be really fine....so they might kick up a dust storm while using it. Other than that, it should be fine [​IMG]

5. Dingo

Can't be worse than the feed they're tossing all over the place. [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You got a point there my friend! [​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG]

I have plastic wrapping the end of the cage where the sand box is and I still have sand all over the place! [​IMG]

Thank goodness they are in a room just for birds. Now all I need to do is learn to not go in there in my socks! Oh the mess I track out into the rest of the house! LOL!!

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Those chin boxes would be perfect for keeping the dust in the bath though. My Aunt and Uncle ranched chinchillas in the early 90's when they were really big, I know all about that mess. The volcanic dust was/is supposed to be best for the furs, but quail are another ball game so I don't know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by