Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

Been rubbing my grand daughter's legs all day. My hands hurt. My daughter will be back from Miami tomorrow and is taking her back into the doctor for me. Before Bill died he was concerned about pains she was having and when she went in they said it was growing pains, but she couldn't even stand up most of today. Did I mention my hands hurt?

I'm upsat. I can't get a stinking decent hatch and the birds down the street are out with day old chicks! In the cold and the fog and everything!

Maybe I'm jinxed!

I must have been disappointed today. I didn't even go to the auction. I go with money or broke, I just go. Something wrong with me I think.

Maybe my best hatch month is April. I did really well last year in April and May. Oh that would be so wrong to just be able to hatch 2 months a year. I don't think I could do it!

hugs.gif
Wolfie, I hope you and your GD are feeling better tomorrow
hugs.gif

Quote:
Oh wolfie i'm sorry! About the growing pains i dont know if this will help you but my sister had horrible growing pains!! She would have the same problem and not be able to stand up. My parents took her in several times but there wasn't much they could do for her except give her pain medicines for when she was having them very badly. She got over it and is now 5'10"... lol out did me by 3 inches!!! Maybe its bc she is going to be model tall!!

Quote:
Thank you for that great link. Definately not something I am going to try until I am much better at incubating and candling, but maybe down the road. It looks like there may be some other good info at that site that will keep me occupied too.

Wolftracks I hope you are both doing better today. That does sound worse than any groing pains I have ever heard of. I really hope the doctors takea good lookand figure it out. I mean it would be great if it is only growing pains and not something worse, but poor girl.

Goddess Good luck with your hatch.

I got 2 quail hatched a couple days ago and out them in with the 2 chicks. So far the quial that I have hatched out have done better in with the chicks. They learn to eat and drink from them. Besides, it is always nice to have something mommy size to cuddle with...

69489_snuggles3.jpg

69489_snuggles2.jpg

I definatley think I need to add a fan and make a couple of small adjustments to the hatcher. I seem to be sitting at about 20% hatch rate and most of the remaining eggs are fully to nearly fully developed. The fan will I think do the most good to move the oxygen better and the heat spots. These guys are going to stay in the LG for lockdown.

The quail cuddling with the chicks is way too cute. I hope I get some of each to hatch so I can have that kind of cuteness!!

Ya know I was thinking about it and my son Dakotah is 14 and he's 5'10". I'm 5'8" and I can remember debilitating paun when I was growing and at times when Dakotah is growing, same thing. Just ahad a flashback of being in bwd at times because a couldn't walk. I grew almost 4 inches between my sophmore and junior year and all during the summer break. It was horrible. And lots of pain relever for children here, so when Makayla woke up at 4:30 am I rubbed her legs down with arnica gel and gave her the pain relever and after about 40 minutes she was out again. Just got back from dropping my son at school and she made sure I carried her back in. It was a given taking her out since she was asleep.

The fog here is aweful today. I almost turned too soon and would have been lost trying to find my way to the main street, then I couldn't see my turn coming back in on the way back. Funny, but 7 blocks away I could see almost a 1/2 block, but not near my house.

Right now I have police vehicles all over the nieghborhood. Last night when Kayla was awake I could hear noises, but nothing out of the ordinary around here, but then one of my roos started crowing. I can't see to far into my yard, but two coops worth of birds are out, so either I didn't lock up or someone was out there. All Games, AMs and BCMs are accounted for, because I opened the back door and they all can running. One of the Games was talking up a storm, but I'm not going back out there yet. I trip in their dusting holes when I can see, I refuse to go out and break my leg in the fog. Spooky!

I think there was something I was supposed to pm to someone on here, but I can't remember what it was, so if anyone has an idea, help!

Is one of the connects for cutest pic of one of the new chicks? I know there is one for moulting, which in the future I will be sure to take pics of my necked and ruffled birds. I had one bird that looked so bad, she could have been a centerfold for Playchicken. One bird that is just ugly moulting is a Silkie or maybe the Polish. hmmmm Both looked bad, but nah I gotta go with the Silkie.

OK just thought I'd try to post more often in here since it's getting closer to hatch time. Hopefully I'll have another 9 days with not too many problems. Only reason I even knew it was 9 day was this time oh so many years ago I had just given birth to my oldest daughter. She was born 9 days before my birthday. Happy BDay Olivia!

BTW I want a poster of those chicks and quail. I love the one where it looks like the chicks has it's wing over the quails shoulder. Toooooooooooooo Cute!

Last edited:
Quote:
Way way back when I was a little girl, they would do this and sell chicks for like a quarter at the Woolworth stores. We always got those chicks but none ever lived more than a couple of days.

I thought it was against the law to day them now.

Was I misimformed, cause I could never be wrong.

It is illegal in some states. I find it easier to dye them with koolaid.

It is illegal to sell the dyed chicks in bulk as a novelty. For personal use and for identification of breeds it is legal. It has been a favorite 4H project for years.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is illegal in some states. I find it easier to dye them with koolaid.

It is illegal to sell the dyed chicks in bulk as a novelty. For personal use and for identification of breeds it is legal. It has been a favorite 4H project for years and since I have no intention of selling these chicks dyed I have nothing to worry about.

When Easter comes, I am going to get some white leghorns and dye them for Robert. Kool aid works best for me. I'm thinkin 4 or 5 should do it for the kid to take pics with.

Back
Top Bottom