Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

Awwwwww!
love.gif

Quote:
Congrats on the chickies!
jumpy.gif

So....give it to me straight. How bad is the bottle feeding? I'm supposed to get a baby lamb this spring and was told for a better temperament I need to bottle feed it. I don't know how different goats and lambs are, I'd assume they're pretty similar. My uncle has the little white face lamb I wanted and she was bottle fed. She is the sweetest most playful thing and just loves people! He's on his second set of black face lambs (can't remember the exact breed name sorry! lol) and both sets were raised by mama and nowhere near as people friendly. I'm supposed to get one of each type of lamb, and bottle feed them. Am I just asking for trouble here? lol
Thanks!

More cute babies
wee.gif
congrats everyone.

I will get pictures tomorrow, when I am not at work and have had some sleep. I love my schedule now, but the two 12 hr days plus half hour drive each way are painful. It is so worth it though.

I ended up so far with 3 babies. I think there are 6 still in the incubator, that I am not holding my breath for but will give them till about the 8th or 9th just in case. The one I thought had pipped with the first one to hatch had actually been chipped when the first one knocked it around. I did the egg crate thing for hatching before and am not sure why I did not this time. Never again for that. The chick looked to be fully developed or nearly so ( I did not completely open it up ) but did have some yolk left and the inner membrane was not pipped. So I think the sibling soccer may have killed it.

It is cute too that the 3 I got out of this hatch are almost a match for the 3 I got from the NYH. 2 chipmunk colored and 1 black one. The only difference for sure at this point is one of the chipmunks is an easter egger this time.
ya.gif

Well, we topped out at four and it looks like everything else quit. But they're four adorable little chickies! And they seem to be eating and drinking just fine in between crashing on the bottom of the tank and crashing on the teddy bear, so we're happy
smile.png

I have a favorite already! This was my last one out.

67211_img00110-20110205-1118.jpg

I woke up and my incubator was dry. It the ones with the little Wellies.

I filled my compartments with warm water and waited and still nothing.

Got a little worried and decided to wet another paper towel and put in over the eggs. By the time I lifted the lid I thought maybe I should candle, buthought I heard a peep. I tapped the shells and there's all kinds of peeps in there, so they're alive. I put the paper towel in and closed up really fast.

Now I'm wondering if I should have put that paper towel over the eggs. If the humidity was down at all, I'm afraid they may be shrink wrapped and peeping for help. Haven't decided on the wet towel yet, but I'm going to be crazy till I see a pip and can tell if they're alright. I don't see anything past noon I may pip one and see what's going on.

GOATS and LAMBS????

Bought my grand daughter a goat right after we moved here. Had a bout of .....???????????....to early for me this morning.........hmmm... Oh scours???? That was aweful........Bottle feeding OMG! Just got to the point things were starting to run smooth and she was feeling better and someone stole her our of the yard. Makayla was heartbroken walking the yard calling "Bella." This one was very young and I think if I even move and actually have the room, I'm buying one that's been with Momma for a bit. Then again................I'm old!

Last edited:
good morning,
ok, I have 8 out..... one in the inc. that I helped this morning.opened it mostly and put it back to see if it will finish on it's own.
The pink eggs prodced yellow chicks??????????
I'll probably never figure it out.

About the baby..it is a goat kid..she is so pretty.the color of cinnamon.
They are all Nubian.
Rare: we were told every 4 hours, which I did at first.then 5.now 6............
I think 3 x's a day sounds good if she will cooperate
wink.png

I really do not know that much about goats.
It will be interesting to see if I have anymore hatch.but am happy with what I have if not.

Is everyone signed up for the Easter hatch.
Later

I'm signed up for the Easter Hatch, set date is April 2nd. 56 days from now; plenty of time to line up everything.
big_smile.png

I must not have been paying attention when I went into lockdown with what I thought I counted as 16 eggs. But I have 14 chicks and 4 eggs left...

Back
Top Bottom