Chip Drop in the RUN! Show me your runs!!

I have chipdrop in my run! I love it—we have clay soul that turns into the stickiest mud in the world after it rains, so the wood chips have been fantastic. However, we didn’t have drainage problems to begin with; despite the muck, standing water would go away quickly after the rain. I would have been more concerned about mold if it didn’t.

And yes, chipdrop is a LOT. I mulched my whole front garden, chicken run, and some paths (probably around 600 sq feet altogether) and still have half the pile left.
Same here...

They brought me three truckloads at once, half logs and half chips. They offered to put them anywhere I wanted them, which was nice. They've worked really well for us.

Look what decided to show up today!!!! They couldn’t put them where I really wanted them but I’m just glad we got them! Hubby can load up the big trailer and move them to the coop side of the house I think. At least I hope lol.
image.jpg

So now the questions is what’s the timeline?!
Do I leave them sit out for so many days?
What if it rains on them?
Do they need to be dry before going in the run? Do I need to treat for anything?
Do I need to add the dirt under the wood or since I have so much can I just put about 4” of chips in the run? Also.... how do they not get splinters???? I know that’s a dumb question right lol.

So now the questions is what’s the timeline?!
Do I leave them sit out for so many days?
What if it rains on them?
Do they need to be dry before going in the run? Do I need to treat for anything?
Do I need to add the dirt under the wood or since I have so much can I just put about 4” of chips in the run? Also.... how do they not get splinters???? I know that’s a dumb question right lol.

If they're fresh, green chips from recent tree work it's best to allow the pile to age for a few weeks to a few months depending on climate, season, and weather.

If you can't let them age, you can spread thin layers in the run to dry out in place. The problem with un-aged wood chips is a specific kind of mold bloom that happens to green wood with the sap in it.

My pile didn't come from chipdrop but from tree work done in our own yard. It just sits there in a corner of the property with the rain happening when the rain happens. I use it as I need it (and probably should try to get another truckload in the next few months to be ready for spring).

We have big, uncovered piles that sit & age for quite a while (I've used them even after a year). I do use fresh ones for the chickens too, but only in a thin layer in spots (I don't cover the whole run) & only in the open air. They are very strong smelling & I don't want to make the chickens breathe that in, I know people who have issues with the strong smell, can't imagine what that would do to a little chickens respiratory system. & if you do it too thick & they don't dry I think you could risk growing aspergillus mold.

If they're fresh, green chips from recent tree work it's best to allow the pile to age for a few weeks to a few months depending on climate, season, and weather.

If you can't let them age, you can spread thin layers in the run to dry out in place. The problem with un-aged wood chips is a specific kind of mold bloom that happens to green wood with the sap in it.

My pile didn't come from chipdrop but from tree work done in our own yard. It just sits there in a corner of the property with the rain happening when the rain happens. I use it as I need it (and probably should try to get another truckload in the next few months to be ready for spring).

thank you for the info! I knew there was something about the mold but wasn’t sure what was recommended..if I do think layers at a time, how often can I layer them? Once a week or a month?

thank you for the info! I knew there was something about the mold but wasn’t sure what was recommended..if I do think layers at a time, how often can I layer them? Once a week or a month?
If it's nice and sunny, once a week...scrape from surface of pile and spread thinly(couple inches) in run.

@aart Well I went ahead and threw down a little layer tonight. You can still see some muddy patches it's so thin. That respiratory and fungus crap scared me lol. The ducks had a FIELD DAY! I'm hoping it stays dry for a while so I can lay another layer in a week or two. The smell didn't seem too bad but I do know that it was fairly fresh. There was a lot of leafage/foilage or whatever you want to call it. But it already looks a million times better. I'll try and let them see range more the next few days so they aren't spending too much time directly on it. Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom