Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I studied then built to "Fort Knox" standard; or so I thought.

Recently lost 3 hens to a raccoon that found a weak corner; found and fixed.

I now have a chipmunk feasting in/out of my coop (through pop door from run) in front of my face.

Do they carry Northern Fowl or other mites?

How do I get rid of the little f*****?

Last edited:
1664718831853.jpeg

They are adorable little critters, but not so helpful either. If you use snap traps, make sure no chicken can get to one. Some sort of box or live trap would be safer for the birds.
And the rodents don't carry poultry mites!
You don't have plague up there, and rodents are pretty resistant to rabies, all good.
How many of the cute little guys do you want to support? They eat so little...:lau
Mary

Last edited:
Thank you for all the helpful replies/discussion.

A clarification: My run is part of a pole shed with a steel roof and fully enclosed with hardware cloth. Intention was to keep everything out.

When @sourland suggested traps concern for flock safety was my immediate thought. I do not know where the chipmunk is getting access; it comes/goes through the run into coop through pop door. Initially concluded I could not trap inside either run or coop, @Aunt Angus points out above that I can (I have a small dog crate, Thank you!!)

Live trap?
Chipmunks are common on my property. That pest/disease transfer is a non issue relieves me greatly; hmmmmmmm?​
Do chipmunks bring other chipmunks? I should think yes; I do not want to feed wild animals.​
While I appreciate the offers I will not be buying a transportation ticket for the little...

Back
Top Bottom