chipmunk striped chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmaddie's mom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Do all chipmunk striped chicks turn out to be roosters... seems like it?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    it depends what breed it is. I had speckled sussex and they had a big stripe down their back but 4 out of the 5 were females...

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I had several EE "chipmunk" chicks that are all female. My black/white ones now, those turned out to be boys.

4. Oldfort_mailman

Oldfort_mailman "The Fortfather"

Jul 19, 2011
    cleveland tennessee
    my wife and I raise welsummers and if the chick has the dark chipmunk stripe they are always female.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I guess the answer is "no". I have mixed mutt Bantams and my striped chicks always seem to turn into roos? I just had a hatch 3 days ago and I have 3 solid color and one striped... wishful thinking ,I guess. [​IMG]

6. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    We had an Ameraucana chick who looked so much like a chipmunk that we called her that. she lost her stripes as she got older but she turned out to be female, and now i have a deformed chick who looks exactly like the other one. i cant tell yet if its female but id like to think so, since the look completely identical. i guess it just depends on random chance!

7. somadlyinlove

somadlyinlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Definetly not both roo or pullets can be chipmonk striped also known as wild type

8. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    All of my speckled sussex chicks look like chipmunks for the first 2 weeks, regardless of sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by