Chipmunks eating from outside feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cro-Magnon, May 30, 2012.

1. Cro-Magnon

Cro-Magnon Hatching

May 30, 2012
    Chipmunks are eating pounds of expensive feed placed inside the electrified poultry fence. They leap through the squares with the greatest of ease and fill their greedy cheeks and leave the same way. Any cheap solutions? :/

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Can you set up a chipmunk feeder with cheaper food outside of the fence where they can see it? Thats what I do for squirrels insread of battling them I just buy cheap food for them and they eat that instead of my bird food.

3. I agree. Another solution, assuming that they are really eating "pounds of expensive feed" might be to buy some cheap, small mesh plastic fencing and cover your fence with it.

You must have a lot of chipmunks. I like chipmunks. [​IMG]

4. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Move the food inside the coop.

Chris

5. Cro-Magnon

Cro-Magnon Hatching

May 30, 2012
    Right, that would be great, but the little blighters run in there and gobble, too.

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Songster

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I do the same for the chipmunks and squirrels. I got tired of them coming into the run area and eating the chickens food and sometimes going into the coop when the doors were open. So in a far corner in my yard, I put out sunflower seeds and sctrach for them. Now I rarely see them by the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: