Chipped beak help!!

Chickenlady48

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2016
So I went out to the coop to fill up water and food when I noticed one of my chickens beaks were red near the tip I took a closer look and discovered that her beak was chipped a small peace had broken off she can eat and drink and peck at things just fine but i'm wondering if her beak will grow back to normal and if I should do anything to help it
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Is the beak tip actually broken off? I had a pullet that broke half of her upper mandible (beak) off as well. It bled pretty good and of course the others were picking on her raw skin. What I did was spray on some Blu-kote not only to hide the skin from the others, but to keep it sanitary and to harden off the skin a bit while it healed. I kept her by herself that first day until the bleeding stopped. I applied Blu-kotewith a Q-tip every couple of days for a while or when ever it wore off, and this kept the other from messing with her and her raw skin from becoming infected.

If her beak is tender, you will want to dampen her food and make it mushy for the first week until the skin hardens off. I did this for a couple of weeks until she could peck ok as pecking at hard surfaces like feeders was painful for her.

The beak will grow back in a few months. Beaks and nails continuously grow all throughout the birds life. My pullet's upper mandible took about 2 1/2 to 3 months for it to be grown a bit longer than the lower mandible and after that she was good to go.

Good luck and over time her beak should be as good as new! :)

Last edited:
Yes it is just the upper part of the beak that broke off and then there was tender raw skin underneath but it wasn't bleeding it was just red and I didn't see any of the hens pecking at it at all so far but i'll keep an eye on her thank you so much for the help! I'll try that and see how it goes
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom