Chipped/split

FloweredHemlock

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2023
20231129_190603.jpg
20231129_190628.jpg

I don't think this is an emergency but I'm not sure what to do. This is my nearly 3 month old hen stella, she recently chipped her beak and I didn't think it was a big deal cuz it was small and she could eat, wasn't in any pain or discomfort. But then it split like this and I'm no longer sure it's okay or what to do about it. She seems to be doing fine but I don't want this to spiral out of control if I can take care of it now.

Hi there. Is it just the chip/split at the tip? If so I wouldn't worry too much. She will rub it down through the normal course of chicken behavior. On the other hand, the keratin portion on her does seem to be a little long. If she'll let you you could trim it or file it down.
My girl had a similar chip (see pic). I didn't do anything and the snaggle-tooth part rubbed down or broke off in a couple of weeks. And in about 5 weeks her beak completely grew back to normal.
20220724_204517.jpg

If the beak isn't impacting her ability to eat or peck and she doesn't seem in pain or discomfort you can just leave it and keep an eye on her like you're already doing!

Hi there. Is it just the chip/split at the tip? If so I wouldn't worry too much. She will rub it down through the normal course of chicken behavior. On the other hand, the keratin portion on her does seem to be a little long. If she'll let you you could trim it or file it down.
My girl had a similar chip (see pic). I didn't do anything and the snaggle-tooth part rubbed down or broke off in a couple of weeks. And in about 5 weeks her beak completely grew back to normal.
View attachment 3694422
If the beak isn't impacting her ability to eat or peck and she doesn't seem in pain or discomfort you can just leave it and keep an eye on her like you're already doing!
Oh thank you so much! When I look online I only get worse case scenarios, so this helps a lot. I haven't had chickens in a really long time and never had these problems so I'm running into issues I haven't seen before. Stella doesn't seem to be having any problems and it looks to be growing back okay. I know if I tried she'd probably let me trim or file her beak but seeing as I can't even clip my dogs nails I don't think it's the best idea for me to take clippers anywhere near her face. I'll see what I can do though, I just want the best for her. Your information has been very helpful, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom