Chirmole is...

CheekyMare

Songster
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
Western Highway, Belize
one of my favourite soups. Yum yum! Fitting here I thought, as it has both chicken AND eggs.
jumpy.gif

386213_10150344811242595_689087594_8665923_918181073_n.jpg

299721_10150344811477595_689087594_8665924_337636299_n.jpg

almost gone

300033_10150344812212595_689087594_8665928_1496670505_n.jpg

I ran out of tortillas before I got to the bottom though. Had to drink the rest.
cool.png

Chop one chicken in 10-12 pieces and set to simmer in stock(homemade preferably)

once chicken is half done, add potatoes, hard boiled eggs, onions, sweet pepper, habanero, and some black recado. Add sufficient recado to make the broth black.

Simmer until chicken is done and serve with fresh corn tortillas.

The toughest thing to find will be the Black recado as AFAIK it's a Yucatan and Belizean specialty.

ETA: If you want to be completely authentic, brown your chicken pieces in lard before simmering.

Last edited:
Or you could try to make it yourself, I wonder if it would be as good? Your recipe sounds fabulous but that spice sounds like a hard ingredient to find
hit.gif

RECADO NEGRO
SEASONING BLEND OF CHARRED CHILES

THE WORD MOLE COMES FROM THE NÁHUATL MOLLI, or "sauce". Chilmole, then, is a mole or sauce of chiles. Called recado negro in Spanish, chilmole can be viewed as the Adam (or Eve!) of all moles, since its almost primordial formulation is obviously their precursor. Dried chiles are simply charred over a flame or hot coals, then ground with other spices to form a pungent, black paste. The paste is then used as a rub on meats or as a flavoring and thickening ingredient in sauces. The heat of the recado can be controlled by using hotter or milder chiles, to the diner's taste. The process of burning chiles produces an acrid smoke so fierce that it causes choking, sneezing and watery eyes, such that making recado negro within Mérida city limits has been banned. Like other recados, it is available commercially in brands such as El Yucateco and Marin, both in Mexican groceries and in the ethnic foods sections of many supermarkets. For recipes that call for recado negro, there is unfortunately no substitute.

• 1 lb. (500g) dried chile de árbol, chile ancho, or a mix of the two (the former is hotter, the latter milder), seeded and deveined
• 2 Tbs. (30ml) achiote seeds
• 5 large whole cloves
• 5 large whole allspice
• 1 Tbs. (15ml) black peppercorns
• 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) cumin seeds
• 1 Tbs. (15ml) coarse sea salt
• 1 Tbs. (15ml) dried Mexican oregano leaves, toasted (if using ground oregano, reduce quantity to 1 tsp/5ml)
• 10 large cloves garlic, peeled and charred
• 1 tsp. (5ml) white vinegar

STEP 1 CHAR THE CHILES over a charcoal or gas fire. With the larger anchos, this can be accomplished by simply placing them directly on the fire or hot coals; with the smaller chiles de árbol, a grilling basket serves well. Be careful: chiles contain a lot of natural oils and may burst into flame. Rescue the chiles while there still remains a bit of colored flesh. Toss into a stock pot filled with water as the chiles are finished; continue charring remaining chiles.

STEP 2 DRAIN THE CHILES through a sieve lined with cheesecloth. Return the ash to the stockpot with clean water. Repeat. Collect the ash in a small bowl and add about 1/2 cup (125ml) of the black water from the last rinse.

STEP 3 PLACE NEXT SEVEN INGREDIENTS in a spice grinder or coffee mill adapted to that purpose. Grind to produce a fine powder. Pass powder through a fine sieve, then return to grinder; repeat. Discard any remaining hard particles.

STEP 4 PLACE THE CHILE ASH AND ITS LIQUID, spice mixture, garlic and vinegar in an electric or hand grinder, or a food processor and process until well blended. Collect mixture in a piece of cheesecloth and press to squeeze out water. Form mixture into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Store covered in the refrigerator up to one year.
Recipe courtesy of http://www.los-dos.com/recipes/verarticulo.php?IdArticulo=267

Last edited:
Sounds like it would taste good, but might kill me to make it.
lol.png

I can't even be in the same room as Chipotles, just smelling them causes me throat to close and I can't breathe.

There's a few latin markets near me, and I've been wanting to go check them out.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom