chirping

Old McDonald 27

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Alabama
HI! My royal palm babies are about 5-6 weeks old now(need to check the calender!) I have noticed that one of them is "hen chirping" Does that mean that it is a hen or is it just a phase they go thru???

I don't know what you mean by "hen-chirping".

Our first turkey poults chirped like crazy whenever they saw us. Of course we thought it was annoying and thought they were doing it 100 percent of the time. Finally figured out they were chirping at US! "...bring food, we're lonely, we like people company, etc, etc... "

Once we let ours free-range it was more obvious that they didn't chirp unless they saw us. Then it was "hey chirp chirp chirp, the humans are here, let's go sit on them, chirp chirp chirp".

One of ours makes a sound like "Hursh, Hursh" like it has a nasal problem. The other peeps or chirps. The one that Hurshes, displays his feathers like a mini tom. I'm curious to watch them grow to see if I have a male and female.

Quote:
Of my 13 poults, I have two that have been doing the male strut, complete with displaying just like you described. Only the (hopefully) two mini-toms make the same nasal sound. Mine will be 5 weeks old on the 16th.

Old Mcdonald... too bad we can't post sound recording on threads... I'd love to hear the hen-chirping that you're describing. Not sure if any of mine do that or not.

Mine are three weeks and just started making a sound that the turkey-call app on my phone describes as a "cluck and purr" which is the sound of contentment. I noticed on of them doing it today as he noshed on some fresh grass i tossed into their pen.

Yes, I have a turkey call app. Yes I am a geek. and yes it worked when they all got loose and I played the "Adult Hen Assembly call" and the last two little runaways came right up. So there.
tongue2.gif

Nerds unite!
clap.gif

It's hard to describe what I am talking about. It is kind of a high pitched chirp noise. My hen is the only one that does it....the tom never does. I am probably just wishfull thinking that it is a hen and my ears are playing tricks on me.... With my luck I probably have all toms!

Back
Top Bottom