Choc Genetics

BantamCastle

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon
Here is a very good site which provides an overview of the CHOC gene discovered by Dr. Clive Carefoot and how it is being refined.

http://www.chocchooks.co.uk/

I think they are absolutely stunning and am looking forward to the day we can get them readily in the US!

Imagine a chocolate chicken that laid blue eggs....would that sell or what?!?

I disagree - there really isn't any info there on the chocolate gene - just a mention that Dr. Carefoot got lucky and found a mutation of the black gene in an orpington and "did some breeding".

They are lovely birds though - there are some BYCers who are in the process of importing them to the US from the UK and hopefully will be sharing their progress with us shortly.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Not to argue with the UK breeders but Clive told me personally the bantam Orpington eggs came from Australia.
The Chocolate gene is found in Seramas, and has been extracted to other breeds in Europe. The European Seramas originated in the US.
David

The Chocolate gene is sex linked and different to Dun.
Chocolate cockerel + Chocolate hen = 100% Chocolate
Chocolate cockerel + Black hen = all Chocolate hens & all Chocolate Split cockerels (Black in colour but carry the Chocolate gene)
Black cockerel + Chocolate hen = all Chocolate Split males & all Black hens
Chocolate Split Cockerel + Chocolate hen = 25% Chocolate hens, 25% Black hens, 25% Chocolate cockerels & 25% Chocolate split cockerels
Chocolate Split Cockerel + Black hen = 25% Chocolate hens, 25% Black hens, 25% Black cockerels & 25% Chocolate split cockerels

Chocolate Split which only appears in the Cockerels, they are Black in colour but carry the Chocolate gene!

I have added a link to my website which has some pictures of my Chocolate Orpington Bantams!!!
http://mangrovepoultry.com/Chocolate.aspx

Hope this helps
Fin

Back
Top Bottom