Choc Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamCastle, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BantamCastle

BantamCastle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2009
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Here is a very good site which provides an overview of the CHOC gene discovered by Dr. Clive Carefoot and how it is being refined.

http://www.chocchooks.co.uk/

I think they are absolutely stunning and am looking forward to the day we can get them readily in the US!

Imagine a chocolate chicken that laid blue eggs....would that sell or what?!?

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I disagree - there really isn't any info there on the chocolate gene - just a mention that Dr. Carefoot got lucky and found a mutation of the black gene in an orpington and "did some breeding".

They are lovely birds though - there are some BYCers who are in the process of importing them to the US from the UK and hopefully will be sharing their progress with us shortly.

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    These are excellent chickens and pictures.
    I have a bunch of true chocolate serama/japanese that can be a lot darker than these.

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    My chocolate 2 yr old Serama hen:
    [​IMG]
    Tammie

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:We don't have the real chocolate gene in the US yet. I believe your bird is dun.

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Not to argue with the UK breeders but Clive told me personally the bantam Orpington eggs came from Australia.
    The Chocolate gene is found in Seramas, and has been extracted to other breeds in Europe. The European Seramas originated in the US.
    David

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The choc. gene in seramas originated here in the US. Sigi over in the Netherlands got choc from seramas from the US if I remember correctly.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    That serama looks light on some parts and dark on the others. ?

9. finmcp

finmcp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    London
    The Chocolate gene is sex linked and different to Dun.
    Chocolate cockerel + Chocolate hen = 100% Chocolate
    Chocolate cockerel + Black hen = all Chocolate hens & all Chocolate Split cockerels (Black in colour but carry the Chocolate gene)
    Black cockerel + Chocolate hen = all Chocolate Split males & all Black hens
    Chocolate Split Cockerel + Chocolate hen = 25% Chocolate hens, 25% Black hens, 25% Chocolate cockerels & 25% Chocolate split cockerels
    Chocolate Split Cockerel + Black hen = 25% Chocolate hens, 25% Black hens, 25% Black cockerels & 25% Chocolate split cockerels

Chocolate Split which only appears in the Cockerels, they are Black in colour but carry the Chocolate gene!

I have added a link to my website which has some pictures of my Chocolate Orpington Bantams!!!
    http://mangrovepoultry.com/Chocolate.aspx

Hope this helps
    Fin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by