Chocolate?? Is it dangerous for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Frozen Feathers, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Just want to know since my DD is famous for sharing anything she's eating with the pets.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, people say not to but I've given mine dried up doubble chocolate brownies before to no ill effects. My birds are real junk eaters though.

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    In general I think chocolate is considered poisonous to most animals. However, that said, I also believe that in small enough amounts it won't kill any animals. Chocolate is supposed to be deadly poisonous to cats -- even in tiny amounts -- but I have a cat who busted into a saran-wrapped brownie and nibbled off a fairly large corner, to no apparent ill effect. :mad:

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know I've been told never to feed it to my cockatoo or cockatiels.....

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If you give them too much, your chickens will start asking "do these feathers make my butt look big?"

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG] Buff!

DD was trying to feed Hazel some MM's...she'd never dream of sharing them with me. [​IMG] [​IMG] So I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to kill the birds if a MM does somehow get snuck past me.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:When I had Puff-n-Stuff she used to climb up me to steal part of any Crunch bar I was eating. She didn't like any other kind of chocolate, but would chew her way through a shopping bag to get to a Crunch bar. Neither the bag nor the chocolate did immedate harm, although she did die of cancer at the ripe old age of 16....

9. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    wegotchickens -- it was probably all that plastic she chewed through that gave her cancer. [​IMG] (Not laughing about the cancer, but all the plastic bags she probably worked her way through).

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Chocolate of any kind is very toxic to birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by