Chocolate Laced Silver Orpingtons/Isabel Laced Lavender Orpingtons

Exotica

C'est La Vie
Aug 16, 2015
Baldwin Park, California
My Coop
My Coop
http://www.keiths-orps.co.uk/large-fowl-2/chocolate-silver-laced-orpington-lage-fowl/
http://www.keiths-orps.co.uk/large-fowl-2/isabel-lavender-laced-large-fowl-orpington/

Oh how I wish I lived on the other side of the world ):

droolin.gif
love.gif
bow.gif

Does anyone know of anyone over here working on projects like these?

For those too lazy to click
(Directly from Keith's Orpingtons - I do not own the pictures)

The Chocolate Gene

Chocolate is a sex linked recessive gene.
So a cockerel needs two copies of the gene to be chocolate but the hen only needs one.
Chocolate x Chocolate = 100% Chocolate
Black split Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 25% Black split cockerals/ 25% Black cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens
Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 50% Black split cockerals / 50% Chocolate hens
Black cockeral x Chocolate hen = 50% Black split cockerals/ 50% Black hens
Black split Chocolate cockeral x Chocolate hen =25% Black split Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens

The Lavender Gene ( Pearl Grey )
Lavender is an autosomal gene which means that as it is not sex linked it is inherited the same way on both male and female birds.
It is also recessive so both parents need to carry the Lavender gene for the young stock to visually show Lavender so a bird with only one Lavender gene will not show any Lavender colouring but can be used to breed Lavender.
Lavender breeds true so in its pure form Lavender mated to Lavender will always breed Lavender.
Lavender can also be used to create lots of new shades and colours as it is a diluting gene as long as the bird is carrying two doses of Lavender . All black colouring will become Lavender and any red pigment will dilute to a straw colour.
Lavender x Lavender = Lavender
Lavender x Black = 100% Black split Lavender
Black split Lavender x Black split Lavender = 25% Lavender/ 50% Black split Lavender/ 25% Black

And here you are again. You have great taste(First the BLRW thread and now Isabel Orpingtons, my 2 favs).
big_smile.png
There is a user here, @jan12 who was working on an Isabel Laced Orpington and if I remember correctly, she came up with some really outstanding birds. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get a chance to purchase some of her hatching eggs, but I've missed the boat each time.
hmm.png
I have a plan, though. I'll get some of these beauties in our yard one way or another. They scream class to me.

Last edited:
And here you are again. You have great taste(First the BLRW thread and now Isabel Orpingtons, my 2 favs).
big_smile.png
There is a user here, @jan12 who was working on an Isabel Laced Orpington and if I remember correctly, she came up with some really outstanding birds. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get a chance to purchase some of her hatching eggs, but I've missed the boat each time.
hmm.png
I have a plan, though. I'll get some of these beauties in our yard one way or another. They scream class to me.
Why hello again!
smile.png
You have great taste as well since we both keep bumping into eachother!!
Do you know if she sells chicks?! What I'd do for an Isabel Laced Orpington.. much more than I'd do for a Klondike bar - I'll tell ya that!
lau.gif

SERIOUSLY!! They are SUPER CLASSY! Not that I'm not happy with my girls but man, I'd be so happy to see one of these ladies prancing around my yard@

Glossing over the painful reality that this thread is over four years old... I'm hoping someone is still working on the Isabel Laced Orpington project...or Isabel Orpingtons in general. They are NOT easy to find!

Is there anyone in the US offering hatching eggs or chicks for 2020?

Not really looking for breeding stock (as I'm far too new to try breeding), but friendly, healthy birds who enjoy interacting with people, birds with imperfect color/pattern not suitable for use in a project are completely fine. Mostly interested in a solid Isabel, but those are about impossible to find. I love Orpington personalities, and am simply looking for living artwork to talk to, spoil a little bit, and enjoy as an individual.

I'm in central Oklahoma, and would prefer to hatch eggs or get chicks early in the year so it's not dangerously hot when they're moved outside.

@Pickled Plaid - I am going to be breeding Lavender Silver-laced and Blue Silver-laced in addition to the regular Silver-laced next year provided the girls cooperate. They'll be projects though, and not perfect for some time.

That's awesome to hear! If you get a real sweetheart that just isn't what you need in the breeding pen to further your project, please keep me in mind. I am not interested in breeding or showing; just enjoying my happy girls and watching them be themselves. Since I'm keeping my girls as pets, bug control and yard art, perfection isn't a priority - temperament and personality are. (The chicken that's made me fall in love with Orpingtons and turned me into a "bird lady" is a feed store Buff who's blind in one eye, but makes mother hen sounds at my one year old son) I know there's a lot of work involved in getting Silver Laced birds just so. I'm still trying to educate myself about color genetics (which feel completely different from horse color genetics!) and silver/gold laced colors don't look like they're forgiving of ignorant breeding. Every time I see another pretty Orpington, I look up the genotype and give myself a headache. I'm also open to waiting until you're ready to sell chicks or hatching eggs if you're keeping an interested party list :)

Back
Top Bottom