1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Laced Silver Orpingtons/Isabel Laced Lavender Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Exotica, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Exotica

Exotica C'est La Vie

2. Exotica

Exotica C'est La Vie

For those too lazy to click
    (Directly from Keith's Orpingtons - I do not own the pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Chocolate Gene

Chocolate is a sex linked recessive gene.
    So a cockerel needs two copies of the gene to be chocolate but the hen only needs one.
    Chocolate x Chocolate = 100% Chocolate
    Black split Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 25% Black split cockerals/ 25% Black cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens
    Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 50% Black split cockerals / 50% Chocolate hens
    Black cockeral x Chocolate hen = 50% Black split cockerals/ 50% Black hens
    Black split Chocolate cockeral x Chocolate hen =25% Black split Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lavender Gene ( Pearl Grey )
    Lavender is an autosomal gene which means that as it is not sex linked it is inherited the same way on both male and female birds.
    It is also recessive so both parents need to carry the Lavender gene for the young stock to visually show Lavender so a bird with only one Lavender gene will not show any Lavender colouring but can be used to breed Lavender.
    Lavender breeds true so in its pure form Lavender mated to Lavender will always breed Lavender.
    Lavender can also be used to create lots of new shades and colours as it is a diluting gene as long as the bird is carrying two doses of Lavender . All black colouring will become Lavender and any red pigment will dilute to a straw colour.
    Lavender x Lavender = Lavender
    Lavender x Black = 100% Black split Lavender
    Black split Lavender x Black split Lavender = 25% Lavender/ 50% Black split Lavender/ 25% Black

1 person likes this.
  3. BlackwoodHollow

BlackwoodHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeastish Ga
    And here you are again. You have great taste(First the BLRW thread and now Isabel Orpingtons, my 2 favs). [​IMG] There is a user here, @jan12 who was working on an Isabel Laced Orpington and if I remember correctly, she came up with some really outstanding birds. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get a chance to purchase some of her hatching eggs, but I've missed the boat each time. [​IMG] I have a plan, though. I'll get some of these beauties in our yard one way or another. They scream class to me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. Exotica

Exotica C'est La Vie

Why hello again! [​IMG] You have great taste as well since we both keep bumping into eachother!!
    Do you know if she sells chicks?! What I'd do for an Isabel Laced Orpington.. much more than I'd do for a Klondike bar - I'll tell ya that! [​IMG]
    SERIOUSLY!! They are SUPER CLASSY! Not that I'm not happy with my girls but man, I'd be so happy to see one of these ladies prancing around my yard@

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by