Chocolate Orpington eggs?

FarmerWife

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Does anyone know where I could purchase some fertile eggs? I've been searching for Chocolate Orpington eggs, but with no luck. Checked ebay, lots of lavenders and lemons, but no chocolate. Thanks!

Dianna

That's exactly where I saw them, at the state fair where they were showing them. The owner of the rooster I saw was not there at the time, or I would have asked. I absolutely fell in love with that rooster, so beautiful. We have Buff Orpingtons, but I would love to bring in chocolate. Absolutely gorgeous.

I have only seen one once and that was a show in Washington. I would suggest going to shows to see what you can find. It's possible that the breeder goes to other shows in your area.

Hope I find some, either eggs or chicks. You only see poultry shows here at the state fair, and it's only once a year, I hope I don't have to wait a whole year for them. Thanks,

Dianna

Does anyone know where I could purchase some fertile eggs? I've been searching for Chocolate Orpington eggs, but with no luck. Checked ebay, lots of lavenders and lemons, but no chocolate. Thanks!

Dianna

The problem is with attaining choc eggs is sometimes this...

I have a trio of chocolate orpingtons, an 8 month old roo, The Duke of Fudge, and Hens Hershey and Latte, given to us by an elderly lady friend. She doesn't sell eggs or birds, just hatches a few and eats the others. We only obtained the birds through pure ole' neighborly friendship. In other words, chocolate orpington owners are just not very motivated to sell stock. When the stock becomes oversold, the value depreciates. I think choc orp owners are aware of this, and therefore, can be very hard to pry for eggs and/or stock.

One of our choc hens, Hershey, began laying eggs last week, and Latte laid her first egg yesterday. I have had several people inquire as to wanting eggs already. For some reason, I am simply not interested in selling a single egg. I guess it is a trait that instantly manifests when you become a choc orp owner. For some reson, you suddenly clam up. Hershey has laid 4 eggs now, (all fertile, blasts checked), and what have we done with the eggs? Eaten them...That's it. Even though I was offered $15 an egg, I'm just not interested.

This, I think, is a lot of why chocolate orps can be hard to attain. I know this doesn't help your desire to own choc orps, but maybe it is some insight as to why you have difficulty obtaining the breed.

That's exactly where I saw them, at the state fair where they were showing them. The owner of the rooster I saw was not there at the time, or I would have asked. I absolutely fell in love with that rooster, so beautiful. We have Buff Orpingtons, but I would love to bring in chocolate. Absolutely gorgeous. 

We went to our county fair a couple of weeks ago. There was probably 600-700 chickens being shown. We looked at all of them, and there was not a single choclate orpington in the bunch. With his literal natural beauty, our roo,The Duke of Fudge, would have been one of the top guys in the show. We just couldn't bring ourselves to cage him in tight quaters for a whole week, so he stayed home with his girls.

Back
Top Bottom