Chocolate Orpington?

@ColtHandorf , need your input. I'm stumped.
Miranda Priestly - I've been summoned.gif

They are Chocolate Orpingtons. It's hot. They don't feather out well when it's hot. One of the many reasons I hate raising them over the summer. I prefer fall babies. Last year I had a whole flock of little chocolate t-rexes running around. They'll be fine. Probably won't look good until several months from now. The protein is not the issue. Nor is the fear of Turken heritage. It's the heat. Make sure they aren't on heat either.

They seem too fuzzy still to be 6 weeks (personal opinion based on my easter egger (slash) game bird varieties). My birds tend to have most of the fuzz worn off by 6 weeks of age.
I think so, too. None of our others were this fuzzy at this age, so I feel we were told incorrectly.

I posted about a week ago concerned these may not be splash or chocolate Orpington. I have a lavender and she had feathers by this time. These are suppose to be about 6 weeks. To me, they look very odd, not feathering much, long bodies and necks. This person also sells turkens. Does anyone think these look so very odd??

I think they have the slow feathering gene. That can cause chicks to look nearly naked at some points, but they eventually grow their feathers and are fine. But until then, they can look very odd indeed, as the chick outgrows its down but doesn't grow feathers very fast.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...vs-fast-feathering-genetic-questions.1088977/
Here is a thread with photos of chicks at age 3.5 weeks, with several different feathering speeds.

I do not think the breeder's turkens had anything to do with the appearance of these chicks.

Back
Top Bottom