Chocolate Orpingtons

Quote:
I haven't quite figured out the whole dun/khaki thing. It seems very involved when I read about it (massive chart at the bottom of this link):

http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

If I am understanding this, Khaki (mauve) [Blue dilution of Chocolate] is not the same as Khaki (platinum) [Dun and Blue] which also isn't the same thing as Khaki (double Dun) [which is like the Splash version of double Blue] and none of which are the same thing as Dun. And if you breed Dun to Chocolate, you get some kind of light beige color that is also none of the above.

Last edited:
I haven't quite figured out the whole dun/khaki thing. It seems very involved when I read about it (massive chart at the bottom of this link):

http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

If I am understanding this, Khaki (mauve) [blue dilution of Chocolate] is not the same as Khaki (platinum) [dun and blue] which also isn't the same thing as Khaki (double Dun) [which is like the splash version of double blue] and none of which are the same thing as Dun. And if you breed Dun to Chocolate, you get some kind of light beige color that is also none of the above.

Ok you just gave me a headache lol!!!

Sorry. There's just soooooo many different genes/alleles in the mix once you start talking about "Khaki".

now I'm wondering what my 'chocolates' are... the pullet has red highlights. Is that leakage in the chocolate color? The cockrel and the 'unknown' one have dark dark Chocolate, almost black feathers but she has lacing and random red feathers...

Are mine true chocolates? Can you tell by pictures? One of them has red blotches on her wings and the other one has one red feather on the back of it's neck. The one that I'm sure is a cockrel is a nice dark chocolate color...

I'm also trying to decide if the two outside birds are pullets or cockrels. I'm sure the middle one is a cockrel...

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug @HighStreetCoop ! I'll attempt to explain the genetics behind the different colors as it was explained to me.

The Andalusian Blue gene (Bl/bl+) dilutes a Black bird. With one copy of the gene, a Black bird is turned Blue (Bl/bl+). With two copies of the gene, the bird is made Splash (Bl/Bl).

Dun behaves similarly to Blue. But instead of being a diluter, I was told that the Dun gene "masks"/covers up Black. So with one copy of the gene you have a cool hued-brown colored Dun (I^d/id+) bird, partially masking black. With two copies of the gene you get a Khaki bird (I^d/iI^d).

Both Blue & Dun only require 1 copy of the gene to be visually expressed in a bird.

The Chocolate gene (choc/choc) is also a diluter, turning Black birds a warm chocolately brown color. The gene is sex linked recessive, meaning females require only 1 copy of the gene to express Chocolate, while male birds need 2.

So if a Chocolate female doesn't have the gene she will be Black. She will only be Black, as females cannot be split to/recessively carry the gene. Males can hide one copy of the gene, visually they will be Black, but carry the Choc gene to pass onto their offspring.

If you breed a Choc male over a Black female, all of the resulting female offspring will be Chocolate, and all of the resulting male offspring will be Black, split to/recessively carrying 1 copy of the Choc gene.

When Blue and Dun combine, you get Platinum.
When Blue and Choc combine, you get Mauve.

The Chicken Calculator also refers to both of these colors as "Khaki", this is incorrect. I assume this is done because both colors are the result of 2 genes at work, a double dose, like you see with Khaki or Splash.

When Dun and Choc combine, you get a color folks are calling "Beige". I've only ever seen one picture of the color, and it looks to be a tan/blonde/pale brown color.

***Remember, because the Choc gene is sex linked, you will produce different colored and sexed offspring depending on how you have your breeding pens set up.

For example-

Choc MALE X Black FEMALE = 50% Choc FEMALES & 50% Black, split to/recessively carrying Choc MALES

but if you breed

Black MALE X Choc FEMALE = 100% Black offspring, with all of the MALES split to/recessively carrying Choc. The FEMALES will just be Black

Now... any questions?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom