Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Pics
Neat, I think your mauve might be a different shade than any color I have...and I do have a LOT! Would love to see it in better natural lighting when you have time. :D

Last edited:
Neat, I think your mauve might be a different shade than any color I have...and I do have a LOT! Would love to see it in better natural lighting when you have time.
big_smile.png

Oh they're gorgeous!!!! Well done.

Here's some pics I just took outdoors to show some better lighting. I'm also including the parents. This is my first Mauve so I have zero experience. I just know that Chocolate x Blue = Mauve. LOL

Can someone please tell me what color my hen is? I thought she was black but she is not she doesn't have black feathers. They are a dark bluish grey and she has some chocolate colored brown on some of her feathers. Sometimes it so hard to tell the colors of them. My birds do carry the blue and chocolate genes I hatched her from an egg.

Looks to be black, ER is causing the brownish leakage

Here's some pics I just took outdoors to show some better lighting.  I'm also including the parents.  This is my first Mauve so I have zero experience. I just know that Chocolate x Blue = Mauve.  LOL

Chocolate roo x blue hen is a neat sex-linked cross. The females will be chocolate or mauve and the males will be black or blue!

I don't know of a color breeding chart, but if you want to learn more about Serama colors, I recommend The Serama Colours book, for an introduction. For further reading, I recommend the more comprehensive chicken color genetics book listed at the same website.

The simple answer to your question of blue roo over choc hen is 50% black chicks, 50% blue chicks. All males will be choc carriers and all females will not be. This holds true under the following assumptions:

-The rooster really has the autosomal, incompletely dominant blue gene, Bl. I have seen Seramas that appear to be a dark "midnight" blue but are actually matte black. If you get no blue chicks, this assumption is probably wrong.

-The hen really has the sex-linked recessive chocolate gene, choc. While not confirmed, there may be Seramas that appear chocolate because of dun or some other non-choc gene. If you get any chocolate colored chicks, this assumption could be wrong (see also next assumption). If you get any chicks that look like a blue splash or lavender color, they are likely dun + blue, which would indicate the hen is dun and not chocolate.

-The rooster does not carry a copy of the choc gene. If he did, then 50% of the chicks would exhibit the effects of the choc gene (assuming the hen also has the choc gene; if she doesn't, then only female chicks will express chocolate, no males will). Of the choc-expressing chicks, half will be chocolate and half will be chocolate + blue, which should look like a shade of mauve (should be darker than dun + blue would be).

Thank you SO much for the help! Well explained. I'm going to take the good camera out tomorrow and get pictures of all the Seramas I just acquired. I did snap a picture of one hen that is quickly becoming my favorite. She's gorgeous, and the picture doesn't do her justice. She's a white base color with chocolate...lacing? Speckling? Whatever it is, she's sure pretty!

What a very pretty pattern. I love Seramas so much because there is no limit to the color and pattern combinations they can come in. I wish there was no limit to my time, energy and space for raising them! There are too many color projects I wish I could work on.

Thank you SO much for the help! Well explained. I'm going to take the good camera out tomorrow and get pictures of all the Seramas I just acquired. I did snap a picture of one hen that is quickly becoming my favorite. She's gorgeous, and the picture doesn't do her justice. She's a white base color with chocolate...lacing? Speckling? Whatever it is, she's sure pretty!

Sasha,
The hen does not look chocolate to me but it's only my opinion, same as any opinion that she is chocolate. The real truth is that because of all the patterns and mixed up genes of the Serama (that's the reason I love them too) it makes it a challenge to determine what they are. In a lot of cases, there is no answer to what color is my Serama. It's more of a matter of "how many genes does my Serama have?" Lol. The only true way to determine if you have any chocolates at all is breeding them. The recessive chocolate gene has very hard fast rules, for instance, if you get chicks from a chocolate hen to any non-chocolate or chocolate carrying rooster, then she's not chocolate. The trick is breeding a rooster enough, to non chocolate hens to verify he does not carry chocolate too. It took me years to verify mine and my hens are solid chocolate. I'm also working on solid black so I'll have the right genes to make a solid chocolate cockerel, that has really been a challenge. Also, if you have a rooster and a hen you believe to be chocolate, and you cross them, if there isn't 100% chocolate chicks, one or both are not chocolate. The pattern can really throw you off but the little hen show here doesn't look remotely like chocolate to me.

I keep hearing comments about dun color in the Serama. I have yet to see a single Serama that is Dun. If anyone has one, that can be verified by offspring that they are actually dun, I would like to see one. Pumpkin diluted can appear like dun, and double pumpkin breeding can produce a color very close to khaki but it is not. There is a lot of pumpkin in Serama's (often used in making CocoPop color) so it makes me suspicious that there are breeders out there who are calling them dun that are actually pumpkin. I have produced them myself and if I didn't know what the parents were, I would have suspected dun myself but it is not.

So, Show me some Dun Serama's and change my mind

I suspected I had dun in my chocolate pen when this light chick (presumably double dose of dun) hatched out. (I have never had any pumpkin colored Seramas.) But the chick did not survive and, later, I lost many of my chocolate breeders during a cold weather spell. So I had to start fresh this year trying to restore my chocolates from my surviving chocolate rooster and some blue and black hens.

Haven't been on in a long time! I've been having a hard time hatching my chocolate Seramas for the last couple of months. Mostly all are fertile but die right before or at lockdown :( This last hatch I had less than 50% hatch but ALL developed. At least I got some chicks! SO excited! I've gotten all of my Chocolate Seramas from Juliette-Pixie Chick :) and yes they are Chocolate or chocolate carriers! I kept all of their names the same when I bought them because it was just easier that way for me lol. It takes me forever to pick names!

Below is Count Chocula

I had 2 chicks this color hatch from him & his girls

and this little chick from him

Count Chocula has 3 ladies Babette, Sandi & Dagger (black hen) The choc girls still haven't gotten all their feather in from moulting :/

This is Rolo a Chocolate-Wheaten roo which carries the silkie gene

This is one of his girls "Amy"

and his other girl Bonnie thats sitting on 7 eggs :D

These are the chicks hatched from them. I have 2 this color

One like this

and another this color with shades of chocolate in his wings.

Back
Top Bottom