Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Pics
Quote:
All offspring will have the sex-linked choc gene. Males will be carriers, females will express it as exhibiting chocolate in areas that would otherwise be black. Depending on the genetic makeup of the parents, you could have nearly solid choc females, or choc-tailed buffs, or some other mystery color/pattern. It all depends.

Thanks, Muffi, that helps a lot!

I wish Nes would lay more regularly, little twit. I have a silver duckwing (?) rooster with them. If she layed better I might consider getting a black roo, just to see what it would produce. Would love to have a frizzled one! Maybe someday...

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the F1 chocolate and blue girls from my Christmas hatch, that I'll be working with this summer...

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_5.jpg

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_4.jpg

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_3.jpg

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_2.jpg

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_1.jpg

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_6.jpg

29496_pullet_blue_chocolate_7.jpg

The chocolates are sired by Cadbury ,
the blues by Lacey Louie & Sir Lancelot .

So many pretty birds in this thread!
love.gif

One of my roosters, Nova, has some chocolate genes going on in there somewhere:

IMG_1479Medium.jpg

He's being bred to some dun hens and others, and he's a daddy to four chicks now! One is a little cockerel who definitely has some chocolate and black coming in, I'm looking forward to seeing how that cockerel turns out.
smile.png
The other three chicks are too young to tell, but seem to be lighter colors.

Here's Nova's favorite hen, just for the fun of it. I love her subtle patterning!

IMG_1481Medium.jpg

(Also, don't mind Nova's comb--before I got him, he got in a fight with his brother and these were taken shortly after he joined my flock. He's all healed up now.)

Last edited:
I started this thread to help breeders, including myself, learn more about the colors and the genetics behind them. I don't think anyone needs to know a lot about genetics to understand how to breed for sex linked chocolate (true chocolate color and not look a-likes). The Serama can be a bit more confusing with all of the color and pattern genes but that's why we're here, to learn.

I think it should be noted and remembered that there can be other combinations of colors and patterns that will mimic chocolate that are not chocolate and cannot be bred to produce chocolate. They're just as beautiful but may be impossible to reproduce when you can't tell what genes are there to make what you're seeing. Also, before paying for a chocolate, I think a breeder should educate themselves so they can make the best choices and not buy one based only on what they look like without knowing that there are some real chocolate genes there. If the reason they're buying is to breed and produce more of the same color, it can be quite disappointing and costly so buyers need to know what they want and at least a little bit about the color gene and sellers should be doing the best they can to make sure they know what they have before offering it for sale so everyone is satisfied.

There are some rules that have been listed here for how the chocolate gene works. Something to note is that chocolate dilutes black so if a Serama has any black feathers, they cannot be chocolate. Just looking chocolate does not make one chocolate. I've seen several that I would not consider chocolate at all but if they were bred and produced chocolate and followed the rules of how the chocolate gene worked, I would believe it. I do feel Chocolate can look different, there are many other colors and patterns that would change the way chocolate appears "BUT" if it doesn't produce as a chocolate should, it's not chocolate.

I think every individual has to decide if they're okay with a chocolate looking Serama or if they want a genetically true chocolate Serama. Personally, I love surprises but if I want something, I want the real thing so when I ever get to hatching chicks from my hen that I believe is chocolate, I'll still want to do some further breeding to prove it and I'll have a pictorial pedigree to document what I'm producing.

I would like this thread to be more than just photo's of Serama's with someone saying they look chocolate or there is chocolate in there somewhere. I'm a show-me type, I'd like to see parents and grandparents if possible and details about the breedings to illustrate they are following the rules of the chocolate gene. I think this is the only way we're going to learn how it all works and learn to determine which are true chocolates and which look chocolate but are not.

I understand that it's not the end of the world whether or not a Serama is really chocolate or not but if I want a true chocolate Serama, that's what I expect when I buy or produce one myself and this is in no way knocking anyones Serama, type before color! but lets work on learning to identify which are which. Juliette is a perfect example of hard work paying off with Serama's that are truly chocolate and breed correctly for chocolate. Dun and combinations which look dun or chocolate should be studied as well as these colors are as gorgeous as any but to reproduce them, you have to understand what combination of colors are present to even begin to produce more.

I've been interested in dun and chocolate for quite a while and more recently have fallen in love with the Serama breed. When I bought my first chocolate Serama pullets, I posted at The-Coop asking about telling the difference between chocolate and dun. I was told that dun had yet to be confirmed in the Serama, because dun splash (khaki) has not been produced from "dun" Seramas, which should be produced by a double dose of the dun gene. If I remember an older thread correctly (which I cannot seem to find at the moment), this person hypothesized that what appeared to be dun at first might actually be a new autosomal dominant "chocolate" gene, and I don't recall if this was ever confirmed or refuted.

I've seen multiple people claim to have dun Seramas. Can anyone with a "dun" Serama provide evidence to confirm that it is truly the dun gene and capable of producing a dun splash when pure?

As if things weren't confusing enough already...
wink.png

I moved some of mine to the outside pens, they're off the ground and have a 3 by 6 foot area. I'm not done setting things up for them in the pen like next boxes and a roost but it's sunny and dry and I thought they would enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
Here are a couple photo's I snapped of Truffles.

8809_truffles_and_t-roo_28april2011_01.jpg

It's really windy and cool so she wasn't interested in posing for me. She preferred to squat down and snuggle up to T-Roo.

8809_truffles_28april2011_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom