Chocolate Silkie breeding

cherieangelle

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
My new chocolate satin silkie hen & my chocolate satin frizzle silkie roo
Breeder said they were full Silkie but I’m suspicious.
are they just non bearded & that’s why I think they look weird?😂

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpeg
    IMG_1679.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    754.7 KB · Views: 32
Well they aren't silkie feathered so how much of a silkie could they be?
Silkies come in 4 different feather types. Silkie, satin, sizzle and frizzle. If those birds are full silkie they would be considered satin and sizzle feathered.

Do they have black skin or 5 toes on each foot. Those would determine if they are purebred.

Silkies come in 4 different feather types. Silkie, satin, sizzle and frizzle. If those birds are full silkie they would be considered satin and sizzle feathered.

Do they have black skin or 5 toes on each foot. Those would determine if they are purebred.
They have 5 toes each & darker skin than most but they’re chocolate so their skin isn’t black black

I don't buy into the whole satin, sizzle, frizzle fad.
Yeah, the silkie breed standard (at least for UK because that’s the only one I know) makes it very clear that if you have a bird without silkie feathers, it isn’t a silkie. Pekin/Cochin bantams, polish and others have to be bred in to create the other feathers, and that’s why they have the red faces. Any pure silkie has black skin, these clearly don’t.

They have 5 toes each & darker skin than most but they’re chocolate so their skin isn’t black black

Like stated above. There are different feather types for Silkies.
Sizzle is the old term for Satin.
What you have is a Satin and a Frizzled satin Silkie. Both beautiful but have incorrect color comb and wattles. Has to be purple.

Well if you have a satin bird & breed it to a Silkie & then breed those silkies they have a chance of satin feathers
Umm, correct. If you mix a silkie with a non silkie you definitely have a chance of getting plenty more non silkies.

Back
Top Bottom