Chokecherries for chickens?

Harkins 83

Hatching
Jul 20, 2021
Hello all! I have had chickens for 6 years now and have been pretty knowledgeable about what they can and cannot eat. However we just moved into a new home that has a chokecherry tree I had no idea was there. After I let my flock out to forage I came back after a bit to see what they were up to. They were all gathered around the tree feasting on the cherries. I had no idea. What it was at the time, once I found out what it was and saw that they're toxic to chickens I freaked out and watched them like a hawk, next day they were perfectly fine. So are chokecherries really toxic to chickens?

Hello all! I have had chickens for 6 years now and have been pretty knowledgeable about what they can and cannot eat. However we just moved into a new home that has a chokecherry tree I had no idea was there. After I let my flock out to forage I came back after a bit to see what they were up to. They were all gathered around the tree feasting on the cherries. I had no idea. What it was at the time, once I found out what it was and saw that they're toxic to chickens I freaked out and watched them like a hawk, next day they were perfectly fine. So are chokecherries really toxic to chickens?
The leaves and seeds of the shrub are toxic but not the skin itself

The stem/leaves/buds are, but I think they can eat chokeberries. They can't eat cherry seeds though.

Back
Top Bottom