Choose one: zucchini or yellow squash

If you could grow only for forever which would you choose: zucchini or yellow squash?

• Total voters
I must say I have never baked with Scallop squash. I usually do the batter/fry method but I'm kind of a plain Jane girl! (and not the most talented chef)

@humblehillsfarm You seem to have similar tastes in squash as me. Probably my favorite winter squash would be the Marina di Chioggia followed by Galuex de Eysines for a photo finish! These two are full flavor but also gorgeous...not sure if you've tried.

Happy gardening!

Personally, I grow both. And hand pollinating squash is about as easy as it could possibly be so why not grown both, hand pollinate the first 3 or 4 from each plant and take your seeds from those squash while the growth is in control and you can keep track of the young squash? Then you could just let things grow out willy nilly getting cross pollinated or not but not collecting any more seed?

Ugh I know it *sounds* easy but it just hasn't been something I've been able to muster myself to do. My job keeps me away for 11 hours a day so any little thing feels inconvenient, or perhaps overwhelming.

@IamRainey, what is a soupe au pistou? And how does your ratatouille turn into a base for this? I'd love a vegetable soup base. I feel nothing compares to chicken broth typically, and store bought and even my homemade vegetable broths just fall flat.

I must say I have never baked with Scallop squash. I usually do the batter/fry method but I'm kind of a plain Jane girl! (and not the most talented chef)

@humblehillsfarm You seem to have similar tastes in squash as me. Probably my favorite winter squash would be the Marina di Chioggia followed by Galuex de Eysines for a photo finish! These two are full flavor but also gorgeous...not sure if you've tried.

Happy gardening!
I have not tried either, but I love their looks! I go for looks, taste, storage, and now it seems I need to go for disease and heat resistance. Which gardening zone are you? The heat seems to have been hard on many of my vining plants so I'm revisiting varieties. I'm in 6b.

@IamRainey, what is a soupe au pistou? And how does your ratatouille turn into a base for this? I'd love a vegetable soup base. I feel nothing compares to chicken broth typically, and store bought and even my homemade vegetable broths just fall flat.
Not the person you tagged, but in the long description of how to make the ratatouille they said to make the soup you simply take whatever leftover ratatouille you have, whatever extra veggies you want to add, put in chicken stock to the correct thickness, and heat enough to cook whatever raw veggies you added.

Not the person you tagged, but in the long description of how to make the ratatouille they said to make the soup you simply take whatever leftover ratatouille you have, whatever extra veggies you want to add, put in chicken stock to the correct thickness, and heat enough to cook whatever raw veggies you added.
Ah, so they did say that! Thank you.

Happy gardening!
My favorite way to prepare all these squashes is to use baby scallop, butternut and other immature squash in a pasta dish.

Since this is backyard chickens I think the chickens should get a vote too & my pullets love green zucchini but don't at all like yellow squash!

Mine prefer anything but plain green zucchini - gray zucchini, yellow squash, etc.

As a true hater of zucchini I voted yellow squash - has less of that zucchini funk that's just so gross to me. :D That said, I've never tried growing yelloq squash. Currently have Roman zucchini (if I harvest it young it has more of a nutty taste) and zucchino rampicante (which I've eaten as both a summer and winter squash, similar to Butternut).

Back
Top Bottom