Choose one: zucchini or yellow squash

If you could grow only for forever which would you choose: zucchini or yellow squash?

• Total voters
Neither. I’ve gotten so many of both that I’m sick of looking at them. They are all going to the birds now.
Same! Birds or my coworkers. I made a mammoth mistake in planting seven plants. I only wanted five but two were for a friend and she changed her mind so I planted them anyways. Next year I'm going to plant two patty pan and a zucchini and call it a day.

Same! Birds or my coworkers. I made a mammoth mistake in planting seven plants. I only wanted five but two were for a friend and she changed her mind so I planted them anyways. Next year I'm going to plant two patty pan and a zucchini and call it a day.
So... if I plant a 16 ft cattle pannel with squash every 2 feet down it, with 8 plants... I'll have squash coming out of my ears? Never grown it before and trying to plan for next year.

So... if I plant a 16 ft cattle pannel with squash every 2 feet down it, with 8 plants... I'll have squash coming out of my ears? Never grown it before and trying to plan for next year.
I have a family of three and had five zucchini and 2 yellow squash. I have had squash for dinner 3-5 times a week for around two months now. Given it on multiple occasions to coworkers, neighbors, and family, frozen shredded squash, baked with it, and finally, I've started tossing it to the chickens. Eight plants will be far too many even for a large family!!! You really need about 1 plant per family member, and you should still have enough to give away occasionally. If you wanted to be safe, add "one for the pot." So plan for one per person, plus an extra plant.

I have a family of three and had five zucchini and 2 yellow squash. I have had squash for dinner 3-5 times a week for around two months now. Given it on multiple occasions to coworkers, neighbors, and family, frozen shredded squash, baked with it, and finally, I've started tossing it to the chickens. Eight plants will be far too many even for a large family!!! You really need about 1 plant per family member, and you should still have enough to give away occasionally. If you wanted to be safe, add "one for the pot." So plan for one per person, plus an extra plant.
How do cucumbers do? Do they also overproduce like that? I can put some of those on the panel as well.

I have a feeling if my garden does well next year I will be hating veggies by the end of the year!

I’ve grown all kinds of summer squash over the years and my very favorite ones are those that mature to a light green color. They are available as round ball shaped ones and oblong sort of eggplant shaped. I can’t remember the names but I think possibly One of them was called a middle eastern squash. The flesh is buttery smooth when young. I got some in a mixture last year but not this year. :hit

Full disclosure - I only grew yellow squash this year. We like both zucchini and yellow summer, but opted for the yellow crookneck variety. The ONE yellow crookneck we planted is still going strong, seems to have flushes of female flowers then they ripen and then a pause, before more female blossoms, so it seems to be a self-regulating squash! My favorite squash is butternut, and I bought ONE plant this year ....just one, and it has already given me 7, yes 7, butternuts, and 3 more have recently been pollinated and are growing! So, if they fully ripen, that will be 10 Butternuts off of 1 plant!! Yes, I'm impressed! Patty pan, I tried to grow one year, but it failed - not sure if bugs were to blame or what, but not a single patty pan. Maybe I should try them one more time.

Full disclosure - I only grew yellow squash this year. We like both zucchini and yellow summer, but opted for the yellow crookneck variety. The ONE yellow crookneck we planted is still going strong, seems to have flushes of female flowers then they ripen and then a pause, before more female blossoms, so it seems to be a self-regulating squash! My favorite squash is butternut, and I bought ONE plant this year ....just one, and it has already given me 7, yes 7, butternuts, and 3 more have recently been pollinated and are growing! So, if they fully ripen, that will be 10 Butternuts off of 1 plant!! Yes, I'm impressed! Patty pan, I tried to grow one year, but it failed - not sure if bugs were to blame or what, but not a single patty pan. Maybe I should try them one more time.
I grew honey nut, similar but smaller in size than a butternut, and it was very prolific! I was so impressed. I also grew a "sugar pie" pumpkin. Not only are they the size of a lady's basketball, but each plant grew 3-4 which I wasn't expecting for fruit that size! I've never tried pattypan, but hope to try next year :) Do you keep your squash for winter storage?

Not only are they the size of a lady's basketball, but each plant grew 3-4 which I wasn't expecting for fruit that size!
Just so you all can have a laugh... For some reason my brain pulled up an image of a BASEBALL when I read basketball. I was trying to imagine why someone would be impressed with 3-4 tomato sized pumpkins... lol

Yes, basketball is much more impressive!

Just so you all can have a laugh... For some reason my brain pulled up an image of a BASEBALL when I read basketball. I was trying to imagine why someone would be impressed with 3-4 tomato sized pumpkins... lol

Yes, basketball is much more impressive!
This is my first year ever growing any type of winter squash so I've been PUMPED over these pumpkins. I also grew several vines of a large blue pumpkin, but only one vine produce one pumpkin, and it is easily the size of TWO basketballs. The plants are still growing so I'm hoping for one to two more at least. The description said the blue ones were good for carving, eating, and storing. Plus they look beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom