Choosing a breed to specialize in... Help!

Quote:
Actually a bunch of them do -- just cruising through the list that SpeckledHen posted above, I the white layers include Andalusian, Campine, Catalana (I think?), Crevecoeur, Houdan, Sumatra and Spanish.

I think the reason North America tends to be white-egg-centric is simple familiarity. Grocery store eggs have been mainly or entirely white eggs for the past few generations at least, on account of how Leghorns (which merely *happen* to be white egg layers) are the most economical high-production breed, as they produce lots of large white eggs on relatively little feed. If your store started selling orange-colored beef, you would be a little weirded out and probably feel more comfortable with ol' familiar *red* beef, you know?

The thing is, most of the white laying breeds are sort of nutty/flighty/aggressive in temperament, and amost all of them have large single combs (you said you didn't want that), and the few others that aren't like that aren't good laying breeds (these days anyhow).

Pat

Last edited:
Well, I can speak from experience with the Crevecoeur, Houdan, Sumatra and Spanish...

The Crevecoeurs are very nice, friendly, calm birds. They lay much better than I expected--and their eggs are large & chalk white. However, they do not like the heat and cannot stand cold. They also need a covered run and special drinkers because of their crests/beards being wet and causing them issues.

The houdans (standards) did not lay well, were aggressive and died when it got too cold. I started over with houdan bantams this spring and so far, they are very friendly but haven't laid at all.

The Sumatras are awesome...super-smart, friendly, hardy and lay almost daily--even in 90+ degree temps.

The Spanish--and I'm thinking this is white-faced-black?? I sent in money in February to Sandhill (white faced whites) and they aren't able to fill my order this year at all because their breeders are egg-eaters. Supposedly, they have done everything they can think of and nothing works. So no chicks. So I'm not sure about those, yet...I've heard they can be flighty/aggressive--although I heard that Sumatras are supposedly the same way (game birds) but mine are from exhibition lines and very friendly!) Anyway the Spanish, with their huge single combs and featherless, leathery faces--you have to smear them in acid-free Vaseoline and prepare for the worst if you live in a cold climate. LOL

Again, I'd highly recommend Sumatras off that list. I've also heard good things about Buckeyes but I think they lay brown eggs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I should have been clearer in my last post. You're absolutely correct. Thanks for paying attention.

Edit: The first time I visited this section of the forum was just a couple days ago. Since then I have discovered the breed database. It actually would have answered most of my questions posted in this thread. It's information overload!

Last edited:
the cubalaya lays a tinted or light brown egg and is a great heritage breed that can take the heat and lay through the winter. they also have prime white meat.

Quote:
I'm amazed that non of the heritage, rare, endangered, what have you, lay white eggs.

I wonder what the story is? Why is America (and maybe other countries) fascinated with white eggs. You wont believe the looks I get when someone stops by for the first time and wants eggs. They look at my green, blue, and brown eggs (not so much the brown) and dang near walk out! Even after I explain that they are all the same inside they will take them, but rarely do I see them again.

STOP EGG RACISM!!!!

(sorry, back to the subject. Rant over)

I know! I sell chicks for laying flocks and I get the biggest request for my idiot White leghorns and Austra Whites just because they lay white eggs and the most "oh nooo's" for my really nice super layer Amerauacanas just because they lay green eggs. LOL that's what my teen daughter calls those people "egg racists"

Quote:
They are a bit of a fad exspecially the marans. Marans are not in the APA at this time and might not be for a long time. To many are breeding different ways with them since most work is done on eggg color. Truthfully Marans are way over priced and it will not last. Hatchery full grown sell for $10 to 20.

Welsummers are much further along and much better off. As there is only one body color to work with here. Egg color is big but since it is so well set the body is not looked over.

Delewares. I once had four Del. hens they laid white-tinted eggs.
As for the dark brown egg "fad",I have five G.S.links that lay areally
dark egg. That's really neat.

Sumatras are awsome!! If you plan on handling them alot they are very calm. They are I think the most beautiful and graceful breeds. Sadly there are not many of us that Specialize in them. We have been raising our 4 years now and would not trade them for anything. If you will not be handling them alot, they will be flighty.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom