1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choosing an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jcbettyb, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jcbettyb

jcbettyb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Longview, NC
    I cannot decide between a Hova-Bator or the Miller-Little Gaint. Any opinions?

Thanks...jcbettyb

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I haven't used either yet, but after doing lots of research, especially on BYC, I went with the Hova. It should ship today!!!

3. jcbettyb

jcbettyb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Longview, NC
    Kim,

Thanks for the info. It seems that the Hova-Bator is the more popular brand, so that is probably what I'll go with.

jcbettyb

4. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI GUys
    Which hovabator model do you gus recommend?

Thanks N:_)

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Almost everyone on here recommends the 1588 genesis. I never used one since I use a brower lol.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:It also seems like people report much better hatch rated with the circulated air and egg turner.
    Good Luck with your decision [​IMG]

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have used both LG and GQF hovabator model 2362N with pitiful hatch results. My old Brower pancake style incubator from the 70's era however is very consistant and I have no complaints. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

8. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI Guys

that's the one I've been eyeing with an egg turner too.

Need to work on the DH a bit first [​IMG]
    he seems to think I've become obsseces with chickens....image! being obssessed with chickens..[​IMG]

....being sarcastic by the way
    Of course I'm obssessed [​IMG] but I wouldn't want him to think he was right now would I?

Thanks
    N
    [​IMG]

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just ordered the Genesis 1588 from Home and Barn Basics. With the auto turner and shipping, plus BYC discount, my total was $157.97. That is the cheapest price that I was able to find.

If you decide to order from them, the promo code is BYC5. That gives you a 5% discount.

Mine is supposed to ship today. I can't wait. I hope I made the right decision....

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I love my hova 1588 with turner. It makes the whole incubation process more fun because you are much less likely to have anything dramatic happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by