Choosing between Holstein & Angus steers?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I've raised Holstein steers for 2 1/2 years. We are planning to buy two new steers this month.

Should we change to Angus cross steers? Or stay with Holstein steers? Looking for pros and cons.

They'll be pastured with our 2 horses so that needs to be considered.

It all depends on what your neighbor is raising. As Its harder to swipe one of his if its a different breed than yours. Now if you have a neighbor on each side raising the breeds your talking about i would go for the Angus steers if i wanted fresh milk in the morning. If you need any more of my help do not be afraid to ask im here to help ..

For meat, I would think that Angus x would be better. But it's a cost issue too, and then there's the temperments of the calves to consider. Angus are notorious, but some Holsteins might be interesting too.
Obviously I don't have any idea what would work out best for you!
Mary

A feller can buy days old Holstein bull calves a lot cheaper than a person can find Angus bull calves .
Some times 20 to 40 bucks if there a large dairy near buy. And their is Nothing hard about castrating a calf .

I have raised both. For beef you are better off to go with the Angus. You get a better yield with more muscling and less bone with the Angus. You have to keep the Holsteins longer to get the same amount of finish that you would get with an Angus. That said, the best beef steer I have ever found is a Jersey Angus cross. The flavor is outstanding.

I have raised both. For beef you are better off to go with the Angus. You get a better yield with more muscling and less bone with the Angus. You have to keep the Holsteins longer to get the same amount of finish that you would get with an Angus. That said, the best beef steer I have ever found is a Jersey Angus cross. The flavor is outstanding.
About how many months did you take to finish each breed?
How would you compare the temperaments?
Is it safe to put Angus with horses?
How did the initial price compare for you? (I realize this varies by location.)

About how many months did you take to finish each breed?
How would you compare the temperaments?
Is it safe to put Angus with horses?
How did the initial price compare for you? (I realize this varies by location.)
How long it takes to finish depends on how and what you feed. If you are feeding mostly pasture it is going to take a lot longer than if you feed mostly hay and grain. I fed hay and pushed the grain and I finished my steers in twelve to fourteen months. The Holsteins took longer because they are bigger cattle with a larger frame and they are slower to mature. I have a neighbor who pastures her Holstein steers and she keeps them for over two years. I didn't find temperaments to be an issue, but then I didn't play with them much either. I did have a pet cow who was a Holstein Angus cross and she was a great pet. She died at 20. Come to think of it, a Holstein Angus cross makes a good beef too and they are available in some areas. Sometimes dairymen use an Angus bull on their Holstein heifers for ease of calving.

Cost shouldn't be that much of an issue because by the time you have had the beef for over a year, whether you paid $50 or $100 for it as a calf isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Currently in my area a Holstein drop calf is going to run you about $100. I have no idea how much a beef calf would run but they would be harder to find. You might consider buying an animal that is about 300 pounds and finishing it out. You can probably find beef calves at the sale barn at that weight range without too much difficulty.

When I pastured my cattle they ran with the horses.

If my input is of any help, I would go with AngusX instead of Holstein. You get more meat on an Angus, and in the long run the higher price is worth it.
The cheapest I've seen Holstein bull calves go for us $20. The cheapest I've seen Angus calves go for is $100/ea. Might be less for a cross, if crossed with dairy.
Heck, you could get an AngusxHolstein for all it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom