Choosing Breeds!

I have had red and black sex linked, marans, rhode island and production reds,easter eggers, brahma and brahma mix and an andalusion rooster. None were under 3 months and several over 2 yoa when i got them. The rooster and brahmas are 1st in line when i walk out looking for treats. All would eat out of my hand but never would like to be pet even though they would land on my knee for treats. I love the variety of colors. I would like to build a brooder and hatch some eggs because my wife would like a lap chicken. But with the tomcat that has adopted her there is a new challenge.
If you want a lap chicken you are going to need day old chicks to train. As you can see by the responses there are some great breeds to start with and each owner becomes enamored by their choice. Making your choice is going to be the most fun part of the process. Lets see what you come up with.

Remember the math 2 is good and 20 is 10 times as good!,:thumbsup

There are a lot of possibilities, and I agree with the others that people friendly chicks come from proper handling as they grow.

However, some breeds are a lot easier to tame than others, and it can also depend on the source or line you get them from.

I've had two separate batches of Buff Orpingtons, and they were always cranky and lazy. Neither friendly nor good layers. I've had others in my area note that too. It boils down to the hatchery the feed stores are getting them from, so ask around in your area what a particular feed store source or breeder line is like.

You can see on the linked Henderson's Breed Chart below what are typical characteristics.

Choose a bird that is noted for well adapted to confinement. Then, buy young chicks and handle them properly. That doesn't mean always trying to pick them up as that can frighten them. Their natural prey instinct will run away from a large object swooping down from above. That usually reinforces human fear and flightiness.

Win their hearts through their stomachs. Be the "treat" person and let them come to you. Then as they adjust to your presence, the bolder ones will allow being handled which will encourage the shyer ones as well. Soon you will have those who won't leave you alone, but respect those who still prefer their space. Birds are individuals as well.

From your goal of pet quality first then eggs, you may want to consider Favorelle, Orpington (from good lines), Wyandotte (from good lines), Buckeye and Dorking.

If you want to lean more to pet than eggs, hands down bantam Cochins and Silkies, who have surprisingly been decent egg layers....when they aren't brooding...which means for some cranky hormones in the Silkie. My bantam Cochin have been completely docile at all times.

Leghorns, Cream Legbars, and exotics tend to be flighty. Rhode Island Reds and Delawares can be aggressive.

Barred Rocks and New Hampshires can be curious birds which at times can be bothersome to the point of almost aggressive. I find them endearing.

Hybrids vary depending on the source. Easter Eggers are hybrids so each bird will be unique depending on the source.

Here's Henderson's Breed Chart.
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Let us know what you finally get and how it is going. Pics are always fun :D

LofMc

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned Speckled Sussex, the friendliest hens ever!!! They are decent layers, beautiful, and very interactive.
I've had Buff Orphingtons, and not loved them. No doubt different family lines behave differently, but mine were not friendly, dumb, and died young.
EEs, French Marans, and Welsummers all lay eggs of different colors that are nice in the egg basket, and are pretty birds.
Get a mixed group, and see who appeals to you. It's fun!
Mary

I've had mostly experience with bantam breeds. My d'Uccle is an absolute doll, a surprisingly good egg layer back in her day, and very docile. I had a Cornish cross as a pet who was incredibly people-friendly, but she died of a heart attack at six months due to how they can't stop growing, so it may not be worth the heartache for all people. I just got four new pullets today, all of breeds I've never had before, but the Orpington and Ameraucana have been tamer just today than any of my others have been in six years!

I also like Wyandottes, especially the blue laced reds, and I agree that the Belgian d'Uccles are wonderful! Brahma bantams are very nice too, and so are the Cochins, although they don't lay all that well. My newer EE bantams are very cute, and have been laying a lot of little aqua eggs.
The white Chanteclers aren't super friendly, but are very cold hardy and have been laying eggs all winter.
Mary

Orpingtons are really docile & sweet personalities, I have 4 BOs that have been laying 3.5 a day. Wyandotte are good layers, easy to manage/handle although some say they are bossy. I had laying 5 Blue Wyandottes for a few months before they went back to their owner, they laid about 3 per day. Silkies, I've heard make great pets, go broody but not great layers. I'm partial to Orpingtons, Wyandottes & AM/EEs
I'm partial to Orpingtons as well. I currently have 2 Lavender Orpingtons and 2 Chocolate Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom