Christmas Chicken - Need Advice

KatLeventisBev

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Greetings from South Carolina!

I became a frequent visitor of this fabulous forum on December 10, 2010, which is the night that a chicken decided to make my Christmas wreath his new home. It's such an interesting story, and I have attached a link to my blog post so you can read all the fun details. Enjoy...

katherineleventisbeverly.blogspot.com/2011/02/our-family-addition.html

This forum has been the source of many helpful tips, and I'm in need of new advice on expanding his diet. Right now we feed him scratch and grits, and I'm wondering what else I can add in to his daily feedings.

Thanks for your help, and have a great day!

That's a great story! I sent an email to my wife telling her and the kids they need to read it! I hope you add more to your blog.

You could of course buy some flock raiser chicken food at a feed store. You can also feed little Bernie almost anything you would eat. Some favorites are oatmeal, yogurt, pasta, scrambled eggs, meat scraps (including chicken), old salad greens(especially in winter).

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Terrific story! You have re-named "her" right?

I agree with everything moetrout said about feeding her. Just avoid giving her too much salt and heavily overprocessed foods and you should be good to go.

So cute!!! And welcome from Greenville!!! I live over by Furman. So I'm confused, is it a rooster or a hen? Has it crowed or laid an egg yet? Regardless, it needs some friends!!!!! If you want to go organic for it's feed, I can't reccomend Countryside Naturals enough. Great feed, very helpful in answering any questions. They're at www.countrysidenaturals.com.

-Jackie

I have loved reading all of your kind responses, and thank you so much for your advice! Little Bernie (or shall I say Bernice:)) has become quite popular around the city, and I'm so glad you all enjoyed the story. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote:
Is she laying yet?
ETA: Reason I ask, if she's laying you could offer her layer feed or the flockraiser with some oyster shell on the side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom