Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
I love Christmas, and I love the names yall have given these eggies. I still have some hope that I'll see development in a few more on Saturday, I checked my notes from my hatch in July and on day 4 I didn't see growth in 8 eggs, but over the next two days I saw growth in 4 of the 8. So I'm still holding some hope that the ones I couldn't see anything in are still alive and working hard.

If I hatch in July maybe we need to do a Christmas in July hatch so we can have a holiday cheer named flock in the off season when little ones like Nicholas aren't in such a bind for time and need to leave the hatch early.

Come on little eggies and get your DNA in gear and replicating!

So... I have news... I candled all the silkie eggs that I set Sunday morning, 3 have growth, 2 others look like they've quit, and I can't see anything in any of the others. I'll give them a few more days and check again. I looked at a few of the eggs from my flock and I couldn't see anything but a couple had dark looking yolks so I'm kinda hopeful I can see something in a few days through those green shells indicating life.

I know I warned everyone this was a risky hatch but I was so hopeful I'd have amazing news that all 14 eggs were well on their way 🥺

The 3 developing are:
@Shabby Chic-Hens Jovie
@Sally PB Star
@tlcmurphy Eggnog

The two quitters (I left them in and will check again Saturday to be 100% sure) but it sure looked like blood rings to my novice eyes.
@The Welch Chickens Candy Cane
@fluffycrow Nicholas

All the others, I didn't see any development, is there still a chance they could be started and just behind?

I'm bummed we don't have more developing, but excited we have the 3.

I didn't want to keep the top off the incubator any longer than necessary so I only took one photo. Everyone, meet Star!
View attachment 3695110
Some eggs may definitely be slower to develop or the embryo is just too small to see yet. Today is day 5? I'd give them till day 8 or 9 before the final determination is made. Just the same, :hugs don't let this get you down, hatching can be a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a 90% hatch rate, sometimes you get 30%.

Also, fertility is generally lower in the late fall and winter. Peak times is spring through summer. I remember Murray McMurray refusing to send me eggs in the fall claiming they couldn't guarantee fertility and I had to wait until spring to receive my eggs. It's possible some of your eggs aren't fertile.

Plant Growth Spinning GIF by Florent Tailhades

Grow little babies grow!!

Guess what guess what guess what!!!!!!!! I just candled a couple of the eggs from my flock and one of the silkie eggs is ALIVE! look at this little one, oh my gosh, this is awesome and from MY chickens 😁

@TwoCrows this is a Nu baby! Ok. Maybe a Heavy babys, but Nu looked like he was the head cockerel in there. Either way, oooh this is exciting!

20231201_142023.jpg

What do yall think on these two? I kinda thought I saw veins in the top photo. But the yolks seem really dark and kinda pushed to one side. I'll candle after dark tonight on one or two because I'm super curious. These are the green EE eggs.

20231201_141812.jpg

20231201_141918.jpg

Also, is this maybe life!?! See the little dot? Might we have 1 more developing!?!

20231201_142515.jpg

I didn't check all the silkies again, I'm trying to wait for Sunday on them to avoid handling them too much.

Guess what guess what guess what!!!!!!!! I just candled a couple of the eggs from my flock and one of the silkie eggs is ALIVE! look at this little one, oh my gosh, this is awesome and from MY chickens 😁

@TwoCrows this is a Nu baby! Ok. Maybe a Heavy babys, but Nu looked like he was the head cockerel in there. Either way, oooh this is exciting!

View attachment 3695693

What do yall think on these two? I kinda thought I saw veins in the top photo. But the yolks seem really dark and kinda pushed to one side. I'll candle after dark tonight on one or two because I'm super curious. These are the green EE eggs.

View attachment 3695694

View attachment 3695695

Also, is this maybe life!?! See the little dot? Might we have 1 more developing!?!

View attachment 3695696

I didn't check all the silkies again, I'm trying to wait for Sunday on them to avoid handling them too much.
A big double :woot Looks like more are developing!! :wee Nu is a beautiful boy, I'm sure his offspring will turn out fabulous!!! I am SO egg-cited for you!!! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom