Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
Gorgeous birds you have there, @2ndTink!
I love silkies and wanted some, but the feed store we got our chicks from didn't have any.
:barnie

Maybe next year!
My gateway silkie purchase was from TSC this spring, I bought 4 little white floofs and totally got sucked in. They are pet quality, 2 pullets and 2 cockerels (I have sold the boys). The pullets started laying at 19 weeks and have been great layers, both have already been broody too. I probably didn't actually need to buy an incubator 🤣

The boys
20231108_190352.jpg

Base
20231015_094823.jpg

Cappy Llama
20231011_182802.jpg

My gateway silkie purchase was from TSC this spring, I bought 4 little white floofs and totally got sucked in. They are pet quality, 2 pullets and 2 cockerels (I have sold the boys). The pullets started laying at 19 weeks and have been great layers, both have already been broody too. I probably didn't actually need to buy an incubator 🤣

The boys
View attachment 3692651

Base
View attachment 3692652

Cappy Llama
View attachment 3692653
I don't think I've ever seen cuter Silkies than the ones you keep! :love

The boys
View attachment 3692651

Base
View attachment 3692652

Cappy Llama
View attachment 3692653
😍 They are adorable. So fluffy!!

In case anyone uses Murray McMurray hatchery, they have a cyber Monday sale on their gift certificates, 10% off.
I've purchased a lot of hatching eggs from them, they have wonderful stock and their eggs come packaged extremely well. Never was a single egg broken!

I've purchased a lot of hatching eggs from them, they have wonderful stock and their eggs come packaged extremely well. Never was a single egg broken!
They're only offering an assorted hatching egg mix, what kind of breeds have you ended up with? I'm really leaning toward hatching my chicks instead of having those little fluff balls shipped though the mail. I need to get about a dozen layers in the spring.

They're only offering an assorted hatching egg mix, what kind of breeds have you ended up with? I'm really leaning toward hatching my chicks instead of having those little fluff balls shipped though the mail. I need to get about a dozen layers in the spring.
I have never ordered from a hatchery, but one advantage I think I would like is getting them vaccinated. I'm still on the fence about that as if nobody ever goes in my coop, and I never bring home chicks from anywhere without quarantining for a week or two, what are the odds?

I'm thinking like Marek's, Cocci, or Fowl Pox. We've never had anything and the farmer lady across the road raises various chickens, ducks, and geese and never has had anything either. Otherwise, my other nearest neighbors who all have chickens too are 1/4 - 1/2 mile away.

Its definitely better to hatch your own eggs, you know the genetics, the birds are naturally immune to things in your yard and there isn't any altitude change which can effect the shell quality and hatchability. Of course shipping can be brutal on eggs. I will say this, when I ordered from Murray McMurray, they sent me nearly double what I ordered, free of charge!

My first experience with purchasing hatching eggs was with quail. You can't find breeders around here so I had no choice but to order. Lots of Northern Bobwhites, Butlers, Gambels and California Quail. When I got into chickens years later, I purchased Buff Orpington and Black Australorp hatching eggs.

I have never ordered from a hatchery, but one advantage I think I would like is getting them vaccinated. I'm still on the fence about that as if nobody ever goes in my coop, and I never bring home chicks from anywhere without quarantining for a week or two, what are the odds?

I'm thinking like Marek's, Cocci, or Fowl Pox. We've never had anything and the farmer lady across the road raises various chickens, ducks, and geese and never has had anything either. Otherwise, my other nearest neighbors who all have chickens too are 1/4 - 1/2 mile away.
I've never ordered directly from a hatchery, just bought hatchery chicks at the feed store. I don't know for sure if they were vaccinated or not, but I would like to have chicks vaccinated against Mareks from what I've read. I only have one friend with chickens and we work together but don't visit eachothers flocks. Otherwise I make sure I change clothes and shoes if I do get around any birds that aren't mine, which is very rare.

I'd like to get the Top Hat special from Cackle, but my layer coop plans are quickly filling up so I don't have extra spots left right now. And Blue Jersey Giants, Splash australorps, Blue Rocks, Delaware, Welsumer, Speckled Sussex, just a few of all the breeds I want at some point 🤣

Its definitely better to hatch your own eggs, you know the genetics, the birds are naturally immune to things in your yard and there isn't any altitude change which can effect the shell quality and hatchability. Of course shipping can be brutal on eggs. I will say this, when I ordered from Murray McMurray, they sent me nearly double what I ordered, free of charge!

My first experience with purchasing hatching eggs was with quail. You can't find breeders around here so I had no choice but to order. Lots of Northern Bobwhites, Butlers, Gambels and California Quail. When I got into chickens years later, I purchased Buff Orpington and Black Australorp hatching eggs.
I think it would be great to hatch some fun breeds that I can't get locally and add to the layer flock. That's cool that they add free eggs 😃

So, quail were your gateway poultry 🤣

Back
Top Bottom