Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
Oh, and for clarity the two EE eggs listed are still from the white silkie cockerels Nu and Heavy, but the pullets are Fig and Maple. These will be silkie crosses!

Here are better photos of the boys
Nu
View attachment 3696649

Heavy
View attachment 3696648

Fig
View attachment 3696651

Maple the dark brown and black in the center
View attachment 3696652

Here's the inside of their shells, I think they are so pretty!
View attachment 3696650

Saturday evening update, I'll have another tomorrow, but umm... as we've discussed I have the common "lack of patience" issue 🙃

1. @21hens-incharge Cindy Lou Who
2. @CrazyChickLady64 Fluff
3. @ElfenLied89 Dasher - D5 candling showed possible growth
4. @Patiocoturnix Buddy
5. @Shabby Chic-Hens Jovie - D4 candling showed growth
6. @The Welch Chickens Candy Cane - quitter will double check tomorrow
7. @Shabby Chic-Hens Matana
8. @GreenJay Mistletoe
9. @Sally PB Star - D4 candling showed growth
10. @TwoCrows Max
11. @fluffycrow Nicholas - quitter will double check tomorrow
12. @ChickyCh00k Jingle
13. @tlcmurphy Eggnog - D4 candling showed growth
14. @Debbie292d. Hope
Home eggs with growth! All these eggs have the same white silkie
Set 11/26
a. White silkie @chickens105 Cotton Ball

Set 11/27
A. EE
B. Ee

And, I don't think my hubby has noticed yet, but I set 7 more white silkie eggs yesterday after I saw the development of the one. I'll check them mid next week and add to this list if any are growing, hehe 😉

@Chive @chickens105 @Leatherworker
I have 3 more eggs with development and available for naming! I think to be fair you three will have first dibs on these three, after that they (and any following ones) will be open to be claimed by anyone who is rooting for an egg that quit or was a clear.
:weeMay I root for egg A from the EEs, and name it tsunami?

I just finished candling, and it seems that the Christmas season has so many hands busy in Santa's workshop that we don't have many that had enough time to come along for the hatch.

Candy Cane and Nicholas got started but i am 100% sure now that they got recalled back to the North Pole, I have removed them.

Jovie, Star, Eggnog and Cotton Ball are moving and grooving! Cotton Ball is outgrowing everyone, that little one is going to town and has a massive vein network all around the egg with big thick veins, it's amazing!

All the other fancy silkies, including Dasher seem to be clears, I haven't removed them yet, but I believe if they were growing I should see clear signs of life by today. The dot I thought I saw in Dasher must be some dirt or a thick spot in the shell 😕 I didn't take them out of the incubator, but I'm thinking I should. Any reason to leave them another day or two? This is day 7 or 8 depending on how you count.

I couldn't see into the EE eggs, I'll wait until after dark and check them.

We will focus on the positives and not be sad, I can't imagine brooding 20 to 30 chicks inside through the winter anyway, much easier with just a small handful 😊

Celebrate Double Dare GIF by Nickelodeon

I just finished candling, and it seems that the Christmas season has so many hands busy in Santa's workshop that we don't have many that had enough time to come along for the hatch.

Candy Cane and Nicholas got started but i am 100% sure now that they got recalled back to the North Pole, I have removed them.

Jovie, Star, Eggnog and Cotton Ball are moving and grooving! Cotton Ball is outgrowing everyone, that little one is going to town and has a massive vein network all around the egg with big thick veins, it's amazing!

All the other fancy silkies, including Dasher seem to be clears, I haven't removed them yet, but I believe if they were growing I should see clear signs of life by today. The dot I thought I saw in Dasher must be some dirt or a thick spot in the shell 😕 I didn't take them out of the incubator, but I'm thinking I should. Any reason to leave them another day or two? This is day 7 or 8 depending on how you count.

We will focus on the positives and not be sad, I can't imagine brooding 20 to 30 chicks inside through the winter anyway, much easier with just a small handful 😊

Hugs :hugs . It seems like this will be a very busy season for Santa, his wife, the elves, and the reindeer. Until next time, you guys, thank you for gracing us with the magic of Christmas for a little while❤️

A handful is wayyyy better than a big ole nothing!
:hugs

As posted earlier fall can mean lower fertility. Perhaps we can have a follow-up Easter hatch when spring has better fertility. 🤔

If I get a broody I may be tempted to let her have a go at it myself. My cockerel will be a rooster March 1.

Last edited:

Dasher must be needed for pampering in the North Pole. They have a sleigh to pull after all.

A handful is wayyyy better than a big ole nothing!
:hugs

As posted earlier fall can mean lower fertility. Perhaps we can have a follow-up Easter hatch when spring has better fertility. 🤔

If I get a broody I may be tempted to let her have a go at it myself. My cockerel will be a rooster March 1.
Yes! I am very thankful it isn't a complete bust!

I would love to do a follow up hatch-a-long! I will be doing another hatch in March of layer breeds, there's a local breeder that I've been eyeing their birds, website / Facebook since I first got chickens in 2020, I just contacted her a few days ago and I'll be getting a mix (I think I'll do 2 doz) of Ameraucanas (purebreds!), Swedish Flower Hens, and a couple Dark Brahmas and whatever other layers she has. I should have some OEs and Marans (black copper, blue copper, and maybe a wheaten or wheaten mix) from my friends flock that will be in there too. So we might have a fairly full incubator 🤣

I'm not sure it will land hatch day on Easter, but it will be around there, I'll set the eggs based on availability from the breeder and my friend.

Back
Top Bottom