Christmas Letters

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
There are those letters that come with Christmas cards that gush about how great everything is... John got that great promotion, Johnny Jr is captain of the football team and we went on this great family vacation... Nothing wrong with them, really. But I have my own type of letters, I write about things that didn't go right, but try to put it in a way that is humorous. I end the letters with a disclaimer that the intent of this whole whiney letter is for the reader to laugh with us (or at us). Apparently the family that I send them to takes them as intended and get a good laugh out of them. If I don't send a letter, they tell me that I need to. As an example, this years letter started with the roof leaking, and how it reminded me that I needed to write the letters. I wrote about how I didn't know that you shouldn't douse a turkey in Blackberry Brandy before popping it into the oven. I thought it would add flavor... but after the explosion in the oven, I got the fire out and in the end didn't think it added to the flavor. Previously I wrote about how horrible it was putting a new clutch in my vehicle, and how 5 days later I hit a deer and totaled the vehicle. Believe me, my life can get so crazy that I don't have to think hard to come up with stuff to write.

Anyhow, my next years letter is already started. I asked DS to drive 6 miles to the post office to mail the cards. It was starting to snow, and I wanted them out before the roads got bad. He had problems getting his truck started, then he left. Only to call about 10 minutes later to tell me that we had a 'situation'. Apparently he went to turn into the town where the post office was, and was using a different entrance road than he normally used and didn't realize how slick that one can be. He slid into another vehicle. Neither driver got hurt, no airbags went off, and now that I got the hood open on his truck I think the damage is not as bad as it looks. And I will start the next letter 'as he was taking the last letter to be mailed...'

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season, and please stay safe!

Last edited:
I like this idea, it's real, it's funny.. I may just steal it
smile.png

I do have 'rules'... I keep some topics off limits. I won't include things like how last April my beloved cat passed away, or how in October we had to let our 14 year old dog go. There is no way that I find any humor in things like that, so I leave it out. I also only send them to friends and family members that I know well enough to know that they will take them as humor and not just whining. And perhaps they help DH somewhat because he tends to let the stuff get him down. I look for the humor in the situations so I can go forward with a smile. When my boss heard that I hit the deer and messed up my vehicle, his first words were 'at least your clutch is good!' Sometimes, you just gotta laugh...

Back
Top Bottom