Christmas Lights for Cold Weather??

kr112234

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Hi! This is my first winter with chickens and last night was our first freeze in Texas. I went out there and ran 5 cords to their run and put in a string of regular red lights. Now I'm wondering if this is ok/safe to do?? I put them down near where they like to snuggle...not in the coop but in the corner of the run. Any other ideas? We are leaving for a week for out of state and I want them to be happy. I have someone checking on them ever couple days but he just going to feed/water.

Thanks!

Unless these are chicks they don't need that at all in the South. You are just wasting time and energy. Chickens are farm birds and do better when treated as such. Again, chicks are the exception.

They are 6 month old (almost) Silkies. Well then I will just roll it all back up if they really don't need anything!!

Thanks!

I wouldn't put lights in the coop for extra heat unless it's absolutely necessary. And then it will be for young chickens that are not quite ready for the freezing nights yet. Lots of coop fires are started by electric lights and faulty wiring, so there is a safety risk. You have to very careful with the instillation and place them where they birds cannot burn themselves or worse. If your birds are mature make sure their coop is dry, well ventilated, but draught free and they will be fine. They are tough, they can handle the cold
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom