2 Broody Brand New Layers

YellowRoseFarm

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Texas
Hi all,

I have a small mixed flock that were all purchased as chicks in February, and they all started laying around the end of July - the beginning of August. The 2 white Cochins are both already broody and have been for the last 3 weeks. First, it was just one, but soon after, the other joined in. They're taking up the favored nesting boxes, which forced a couple of the girls to lay in the run and elsewhere. They're not even sitting on any eggs!

I've done all of the recommended things except for isolating. I'm in Texas, and there isn't a place I can isolate that wouldn't expose them to more heat. However, I go out there and pull them out of the boxes several times a day. I gave them a cool dunk. I put them in my bike basket and took them for a ride around the neighborhood.

I'm just letting it play out, hoping they'll naturally come out of it. But I am wondering if this is going to be a regular thing when they've gone broody in their first season. I'm not considering it just yet, but I don't have a rooster, and I have zero interest in hatching chicks. So, if this does become a regular thing, I'll need to rehome them. Is it pretty much a guarantee that if they're *this* broody already, they'll trend this way forever?

Back
Top Bottom