Christmas Tree = Extreme Fire Hazard

We go out and cut down a spruce tree (one of the miscellaneous volunteers that has come up in the wrong plaace), bring it in and decorate it the week before Christmas. We use no lights and get it out of the house before New Years.

I had no idea a real tree could be so hazardous. We have always had a real tree and in the 1950s, when I was little, mum and dad put real candles in little holders on it. On Christmas day, in the evening, dad lit all the candles and we sang carols. How dangerous is that! We buy our tree the week before Christmas, put it up Christmas eve and take it down on twelvth night. We leave it outside in a bucket of water until then. We don't have the tree in the same room as a fire though.

i'm the big scrooge that is actually allergic to real xmas trees. my parents found out thru trial and error when i was younger. being inside a room for an extended period of time with a pine tree causes me to have an asthma attack. i had to go to the ER to get adrenillin shots so i could breath. i actually fear real xmas trees, just the smell makes me panic. it's a pain in my butt too since i have to avoid visiting anyone that has a real tree. i can't be in the same room as the tree, i panic and need to leave.

how's that for an odd allergy?

that being said, i'm so happy to see that so many people are having fake trees! it's much safer!

Usually we use a live tree...uncut and then plant it after New Years....last year was a small arrtifical and this year will be a large artifical because of just moving here....I want to find a good place to buy our live trees next year.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Canadian here, feels so werid to see people cutting a Christmas tree in shorts! I know I need to get out more! You have a beutiful family!

I'm in Michigan and was thinking the same thing! We are in full winter get up when we go in search of tree. Beautiful famiy and tree! We also go and cut our own. We did it even when it was just my hubby and myself. Now there's two little ones. We love it - it's a special thing that we do as a family.

Myth Busters did prove that no amount of lights on a tree, no matter how dry, would catch fire. what they did prove was that a bad electrical cord can over heat and catch fire, and that is what causes most of the fires.

Back
Top Bottom