Chronic illness responds to ivermectin and nothing else - help with treatment plan?

StPaulieGirls

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 14, 2007
Hutchinson, MN
Hi friends,

Our bird, Spunky, has been sick since July and we've been trying to figure out what's going on. I posted a couple months back and folks thought maybe MG, maybe coryza. We've been trying to address some of the possibilities. She's had supportive care the whole time and has neither died nor improved. She eats, drinks, and preens, but is overall pretty lethargic. When we treat her, she still has plenty of fight in her, hence the name.

Earliest symptoms in summer were pale comb and one day or so of open-mouth breathing and a tiny bit of foamy eye. We isolated her immediately. Her comb got paler and then dry with ashy scaling. She slept a lot over the summer but would scratch around for about an hour a day. In September, we noticed crusty, greasy yellow ick under her wings, which smelled awful. She does not sneeze, wheeze or cough. Her breathing is quiet, though perhaps a little labored when she's tired.

No other birds have shown symptoms like this. The rest of the flock is in decent health going into the MN winter.

Here's what we've done so far:
  • Doxycycline for 7 days back in summer, because we thought MG was pretty likely. Zero response.
  • Steady electrolytes and vitamins and frequent probiotics. She also has a sweeter heater because we've already been below 15 degrees for a few days here.
  • A couple weekends of alternating neem and oregano in her water, because we thought we'd try an herbal route. This seemed to perk her up for a bit but didn't have a lasting effect. I think she drank more water because she liked the flavor and so was better hydrated.
  • Applications of permethrin dust on skin, and vaseline on comb/wattle in case it was microscopic mites, which seemed to make the bird miserable. She spent several days hunched and fluffed up during this treatment.
  • THEN, we did oral ivermectin (I know the pour-on is preferred but I can't spend another $60 on a med for this bird...my spouse will strangle me...). We did half a pea-sized lump of the paste, which she swallowed cheerfully. Within 24 hours, her comb and wattles cleared some and pinked significantly and she was positively fiesty and famished. She seemed to be on the mend for a day or two, but then the scaly, swollen face thing happened again and she lost energy. For the last week, I'd still say she has a better appetite and is perkier than she was at her worst.
I suspect mites, which is why we tried the ivermectin in the first place and her response seems to confirm mites - maybe just scaly face mites but maybe also air sac mites? Again, no other birds in the flock show signs of this. I know this is an off-label use. I want to repeat dose her but I know that ivermectin is hard on organs, so I'm not sure how to proceed. If she's responding to ivermectin but it's not resolving, how do you think should I continue to treat her? Should I dose her daily for a short while? Weekly? Not again at all?

Also, her beak is getting overgrown due to her restricted activity. I want to grind the beak tip down with our Dremel. Should I do that? Any advice?

Thanks for any tips, folks. If we can save her, we'd really like to.

- Kerri and Skunky Spunky

skunky in september.jpeg

Mites are very hard to get rid of. It involves treating the coop, nests, roosts, as well as the chicken. Ivermectin is given at the correct dosage once and repeated in 14 days. All bedding must be removed from the coop, and replaced. Eggs should be discarded for a month. Vaseline applied to the face can help some when there are face mites.

It could be that she has both MG and mites. MG is known to cause bubbles or foam in an eye, swelling around the eye, and conjunctivitis or pinkeye. It is a chronic disease, and antibiotics only treat symptoms, but it does not cure the disease. Symptoms may return, especially during cold weather, molting, and other times of stress.

Sometimes we do not always know what is wrong with a chicken until after they die and a necropsy with testing can be done by the state vet. Sorry that she has such problems. I know it can be frustrating.

She's still alive. Eats well, poops weird chalky poops, keeps weight on, but the skin thing is persistent. Her eyes and ears get bad when it flares up. Our best guess is that she's got some combination of a genetic weakness and a really bad case of favus. We've tried everything. She's isolated from the flock (she free ranges on a different part of the farm, within view of our ducks), so we're not sure she's living her best chicken life. But she hasn't given up.

She's still alive. Eats well, poops weird chalky poops, keeps weight on, but the skin thing is persistent. Her eyes and ears get bad when it flares up. Our best guess is that she's got some combination of a genetic weakness and a really bad case of favus. We've tried everything. She's isolated from the flock (she free ranges on a different part of the farm, within view of our ducks), so we're not sure she's living her best chicken life. But she hasn't given up.
My boy seemed to get some relief from a pet shampoo called Sebozole. It contains Miconazole Nitrate 2% and Chloroxylenol 1%. He had two spa days with that, then Ivermectin a couple days later and he started crowing again. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Honestly, if she’s still with you, I’d buy some Red Cell and give it to her, she’s losing blood and that’ll be the cause of death. When by birds were infested with lice, I gave Red Cell and it had saved all my birds. Same with Coccidiosis in chicks, saved every single one.

Honestly, if she’s still with you, I’d buy some Red Cell and give it to her, she’s losing blood and that’ll be the cause of death. When by birds were infested with lice, I gave Red Cell and it had saved all my birds. Same with Coccidiosis in chicks, saved every single one.
Can you give me the dosage for Red Cell? My boy is extremely pale.

Back
Top Bottom