Chronic respiratory problem with 1 bird...

HomeGardenGirl

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Hagerstown MD 21742
I have a 3 year old Americauna who has had a chronic respiratory problem for almost a year. It goes through cycles of better/worse/better/worse...She usually has eye bubbles and when its worse she has ALOT of bubbles and obvious copious amounts of nasal discharge with sneezing. She's been separated from the rest of our flock for months because we can't figure out what to do. I've tried various other treatments and just gave her a 7 day round of Tylan and while it improved it still isn't gone. :he I don't know what else try? Our local poultry vet is unavailable due to COVID.

I have a 3 year old Americauna who has had a chronic respiratory problem for almost a year. It goes through cycles of better/worse/better/worse...She usually has eye bubbles and when its worse she has ALOT of bubbles and obvious copious amounts of nasal discharge with sneezing. She's been separated from the rest of our flock for months because we can't figure out what to do. I've tried various other treatments and just gave her a 7 day round of Tylan and while it improved it still isn't gone. :he I don't know what else try? Our local poultry vet is unavailable due to COVID.
I've had similar problems amongst many as my flock are getting very old now .I have learnt much from pigeon forums where medication appears much easier to obtain than that for chickens in the UK. Generally for respiratory problems I use Baytril administered by syringe making sure you place it past the hole in the tongue which is the trachea so the bird doesn't aspirate (there are good demonstrations on here how to do this if you haven't before) it seems to be quite effective and has worked for me in the past. I've also used Yellow Drops which are for racing pigeons....one drop in each nostril so very easy to apply...it clears the airways and any mucus and has been very effective, is cheap to buy and should be easily available from ebay. I use Harker's spot on 4 in one also for pigeons for fleas, lice,mites, worms,cocci and canker,5 drops for a medium bird on the skin directly on the back of the neck....you can see any fleas literally die off within hours of application. It is quite expensive though.
This is my first post here so hope it helps you and your bird.

She may just be chronic. Sometimes meds will help and other times not. Good you have her away from the flock. I dont really have a solution for you. Hoping someone will come along that will.

I just posted the same thing a few days ago and didn’t get much response either. I have two that are like this and have been for a very long time. I don’t have the means to separate them so they have been with the rest of the flock the entire time. I wish I knew if they were contagious, and I should try to find someone to put them down, before adding baby chicks. With the heat today, the one that has it the worst can barely breathe. The next couple of days will be just as hot. So sad!

Back
Top Bottom