Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

That jerky looks great.

I love dehydrating apple slices with some cinnamon sprinkled on them. It's like a bite of apple pie when it's done.
It's tricky controlling yourself, though. :lau You can go through an AWFUL lot of apples snacking on those. I like them so dry they snap. 🥰🥰🥰 I went through a whole bushel in a couple weeks (DH was not interested in them at all, so that was just me alone.) 😳🤣

Good lord. That sounds terrible to me! I get all bent out of shape if I have to butcher beyond 4pm. Makes sense to do it in the cool though. Less flies too. We built a butchering building to comply with the states requirements for selling home processed birds, otherwise, with this heat this summer, I would definitely consider butchering late at night into the early morning. Although we have swarms of mosquitos around here at night so I'm not sure it would be any better. lol.
I actually butcher them in my Kitchen since i started skinning. I bought a Kitchen Table specifically for this that is made from Resin and easy to clean. It took me a while to be good enough at processing a bird before I could do it cleanly inside but I reached a point to where I can peel off the skin pull out the insides have it all hang off a table over a small container lined with a feed bag and when I cut off the tail everything falls into a bag.

Another all nighter of processing chickens. Although I do not process chickens all night, I was fermenting veggies I picked out of the garden in the early morning hours. Did a few weekly chores that I do every sunday night. I made sunday my weekly chore day/night. Not sure if I am procrastinating and waiting until the very end of the weekend to get these tasks done or am I bright eyed and bushy tailed early in the week on a Monday Morning getting my weekly chores done early... or is it that Monday Morning is Garbage day so doing all my weekly chores on sunday just fit with a fixed schedule I can not change.

Anyone got a link to good skinning vid?
TIA.
I wet the bird. I remove feet and wings first. Then I make a slit in the skin and pull it all off (I usually start on the underside of the bird). Then I remove the insides. Then I cut the neck (my family prefers no neck). Then I wash the whole bird real good. Put it in my storage bin with ice and water then go to the next one.

I wet the bird. I remove feet and wings first. Then I make a slit in the skin and pull it all off (I usually start on the underside of the bird).
Wetting the bird might be good keep those fluffy feathers from flying all over.
Do you remove the wings at the shoulder or.....?

Back
Top Bottom