Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Cool, was reading thru your last post and wondering if you had answered my inquiry and I had missed it, then there it was!
Oh, living in Mom's 'barn' could mean many things, can't wait to see.
No chickens while you are there?
Yes chickens! Just not quiiiiite so many. šŸ¤Ŗ

@jolenesdad did you ever grow out the Delaware's from dawn ridge? I'm about to message them about eggs. I think I'm going to wait until one of my egg layers goes broody and have them hatch them out as I don't have the room to grow them out to a size to introduce a few to keep as breeders.
I told hubby I wanted to do meat birds again and he instantly said "not the gross fat white ones right!?" We all hated the Cornish hahaha

@jolenesdad did you ever grow out the Delaware's from dawn ridge? I'm about to message them about eggs. I think I'm going to wait until one of my egg layers goes broody and have them hatch them out as I don't have the room to grow them out to a size to introduce a few to keep as breeders.
I told hubby I wanted to do meat birds again and he instantly said "not the gross fat white ones right!?" We all hated the Cornish hahaha
šŸ˜‚ The gross fat white ones hahaha that is hilarious. Honestly I've seen Cornish on videos and I can't handle them.

Yes I did! Last batch. I ended up giving the females all away, because they still needed some improvement IMO to be a ā€œreal meat birdā€ with a set processing date. Iā€™d have been much happier I think growing them to 16+ weeks, but I didnā€™t plan well enough.

Dawnridge told me cockerels get to 3-3.5 lb processed weight at 13 weeks. I sort of expected that across the board so I planned for processing with the imperials at 13 weeks. Thatā€™s the biggest difference I realized between heritage and broilers.... commercial broilers are unbelievably consistent, and heritage birds are fairly across the map.

one boy of 17 was 4 lbs processed, two or so were 3.5, and half the boys were 3. The rest were a little under 3. I wanted to be able to donate their feet and giblets and didnā€™t want to hold any back so I Took them all to USDA processing together.

I really want to try two lines of New Hampshire next. The biggest and best New Hampshire line in the country is supposed to come from a guy Mike Omeg. Let me find the link to his birds. Theyā€™re Uber expensive, so I only want to get birds to breed from him if I do. Otherwise I want to try the new hamps from Freedom Ranger hatchery. Theyā€™re supposed to be really respectable meat birds.

Dawnridge doesnā€™t always sell eggs but I bet youā€™re early enough in the season they might!

Yes I did! Last batch. I ended up giving the females all away, because they still needed some improvement IMO to be a ā€œreal meat birdā€ with a set processing date. Iā€™d have been much happier I think growing them to 16+ weeks, but I didnā€™t plan well enough.

Dawnridge told me cockerels get to 3-3.5 lb processed weight at 13 weeks. I sort of expected that across the board so I planned for processing with the imperials at 13 weeks. Thatā€™s the biggest difference I realized between heritage and broilers.... commercial broilers are unbelievably consistent, and heritage birds are fairly across the map.

one boy of 17 was 4 lbs processed, two or so were 3.5, and half the boys were 3. The rest were a little under 3. I wanted to be able to donate their feet and giblets and didnā€™t want to hold any back so I Took them all to USDA processing together.

I really want to try two lines of New Hampshire next. The biggest and best New Hampshire line in the country is supposed to come from a guy Mike Omeg. Let me find the link to his birds. Theyā€™re Uber expensive, so I only want to get birds to breed from him if I do. Otherwise I want to try the new hamps from Freedom Ranger hatchery. Theyā€™re supposed to be really respectable meat birds.

Dawnridge doesnā€™t always sell eggs but I bet youā€™re early enough in the season they might!
How long should I wait for my jersey giant barred rock cross? I was thinking 20 weeks.

He's the barred one

20200215_144627.jpg

How long should I wait for my jersey giant barred rock cross? I was thinking 20 weeks.

He's the barred one

View attachment 2029428
Under 16 weeks and with a little resting you should be able to cook any way you want. After that and you canā€™t use as much high temperature cooking methods. I havenā€™t had a bird to eat over 16 weeks old before.

there are plenty of folks in the thread who have, however! Iā€™d wait as long as you can before he causes any boy issues. Heritage breeds develop the breast last, and itā€™s supposedly between 16-24 weeks that they get a plumper breast thatā€™s much more than a ā€œtenderā€.

He's the barred one

View attachment 2029428
Jersey giant crosses build the frame for months longer. The ones I had were much meater at 6 months. I usually process at 16 weeks. I wasn't happy with a boney bjg cross at that age. I let a couple grow longer and they had a lot more meat.

Back
Top Bottom