Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I was vegetarian many years ago BC (before child) for ethical reasons, but with all my kiddo's allergies I knew meat would have to be part of the mix.

Though I never knew what to call myself then....I guess I was off-farm vegetarian too for the 10 years that I lived further north and actually farmed/did FM for a living. I raised chicken and turkeys and used some to barter with local farms (within 5 miles) for beef and pork. It worked really well and the only time I had store bought meat was the very rare occasion I bought some ham lunch meat.

Had a small goat dairy too and learned to make basic cheeses and home made yogurt. I didn't drink the milk outright, but used it for some of the family and used it to make goat milk fudge, which sold like hotcakes at the FMs and large annual events that I did.
Also had all the eggs, herbs, fruits, berries, and fresh vegetables I could ever have wanted.

One of the coolest things (to me anyway) was the year that nearly every single thing on my Thanksgiving table came right off my farm. Aside from a little sugar in the desserts, salt, and the gluten free flour in the stuffing. It was a large typical spread and the immense satisfaction I felt was beyond words.

edit: typos

Last edited:
One of the coolest things (to me anyway) was the year that nearly every single thing on my Thanksgiving table came right off my farm. Aside from a little sugar in the deserts, salt, and the gluten free flour in the stuffing. It was a large typical spread and the immense satisfaction I felt was beyond words.
That is really is cool. There is nothing more satisfying that eating what you grow. A whole Thanksgiving meal would be incredible. I bet it was all delicious too.

I wish I could eat the meat I butcher, but meat makes me so ill. I can sometimes tolerate bird meat but I can’t figure out when unless I get sick and I’d rather not deal with it. Red meat instantly makes me sick.

Then dairy is another monster. It creates mucus in the human body and the lung issue I have doesn’t agree with it. I can’t breathe if I consume dairy.

So vegan it is 😂

I wish I could eat the meat I butcher, but meat makes me so ill. I can sometimes tolerate bird meat but I can’t figure out when unless I get sick and I’d rather not deal with it. Red meat instantly makes me sick.

Then dairy is another monster. It creates mucus in the human body and the lung issue I have doesn’t agree with it. I can’t breathe if I consume dairy.

So vegan it is 😂
I have that issue with cow's milk, but goat is okay

Tomorrow we butcher the first of the Naked Neck over Red Ranger and Naked Neck over Slow White Broiler cockerels. They are 13 1/2 weeks old. I wanted to wait longer, but the boys are getting pretty hormonal and starting to stress out the other chickens. There are 6 cockerels and my plan is to butcher the largest 2, weigh them, and if I'm happy with the weight we will butcher the next two largest. I want to let the smallest two fill out another couple of weeks if I can. Here is a picture of the two largest, with a pullet in the background.

I am interested to see what under the feathers and how they weigh out.

IMG_2807.JPG

I

Back
Top Bottom