Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Oh, so one last question... how do you feel about letting the majority of the gals choose the keeper? Do they know something I don't? I figure it's only one factor to conside
I cut by size at usual harvest age and aggression first. If I have several left, which I usually do, I look for ones that tidbit and sometimes I do have one that the pullets tolerate better. The hens don't seem to like teens. Usually I keep a couple cockerels until spring.... its more apparent who they prefer.

I’ll wait till next weekend and do it really early like 6 am. DH works early tomorrow morning so it’s not possible to do it then. I could do it myself, but it’s a family thing.
Always better with help. Fantastic with someone you can stand. Amazing with loved ones.

I started early and skinning 5 took 2 hours. I was wiped out by the last one. Got them done. Glad I set my limit at 5. Plucking increases the time and lowers the numbers too. Know your limits.

Always better with help. Fantastic with someone you can stand. Amazing with loved ones.

I started early and skinning 5 took 2 hours. I was wiped out by the last one. Got them done. Glad I set my limit at 5. Plucking increases the time and lowers the numbers too. Know your limits.
I usually skin them and don’t pluck. I cheat 🤭

Our last set of cx had a large number of pin feathers at 8 weeks. Took my girls and I 3 hours to process 5 cx and 3 heritage birds that were 14ish weeks. But we have been practicing weekly. Less than 10 birds we have not been using the plucker.
After I get tired, I promise myself to do detail plucking after they are thawed.

While sitting outside sweating my brains out, it occurred to me. The weather changed. The birds are not eating as much. Cause it is hot.

The last two days I went out at 5 to observe. The birds were in the taller part of the yard enjoying a nice cool salad before bed. Still food in the trays. I added more food and called and only a half dozen came to eat. The others stayed at the salad bar. This happened both days.

Anyone else noticed heat decreasing apatite? Seems I had the same comment last time I raised CX in the late summer.

Back
Top Bottom