Cinco-de-Mayo Hatch-A-Long celebration!

Pics

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
cinco_de_mayo_chick_postcard-r1c4b9a98e3d5400fa65b0ecbc0ffb20e_ucbjp_630.jpg

For those setting chicken eggs TODAY (April 13) or TOMORROW (April 14th), how about we do a tiny Hatch-A-Long to celebrate Cinco de Mayo??? Setting chicken eggs today or tomorrow should be a hatch date of May 4th-5th. It can be a themed event, and let's post creative photos of eggs and chicks, and our favorite recipes. What do you think?

7a3d8d337b1e0f257ba2eb75a6bf355e.gif

I just set 42 eggs this morning to coincide with the May full moon on May 5th, and just realized that's Cinco de Mayo! It's nacho ordinary day, so let's shell-ibrate with some eggcelent stories and photos!

guacamole-deviled-eggs-1-11-750x750.jpg

Last edited:
How much I candle really varies from hatch to hatch. When I’m hatching for other people I usually candle 3 times once at day 5-7 once around day 14 and once when I move them to the hatch tray.
When I’m incubating s big batch from my flock I sometimes peek at a few eggs but often don’t candle at all until I move them to hatch. I found these awesome candlers from Ali express that are bent handled so I don’t have to pick up the eggs unless they’re suspicious and I need a closer look.

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/325680...&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2usaMsite&_randl_shipto=US

I have 2 but my children often take them for flashlights… then I get stuck using my phone which isn’t as good.

When I’m hatching shipped eggs it something I’m following impatiently I candle a lot. Like my poor duck eggs… every day I think I’ve been peeking at those😂

For cooling off I just don’t know. My brinsea has a programmable cool off option. I tried to look deeper into research assuming there would be pretty strong evidence if brinsea went to the trouble to add the feature but so far I didn’t find anything compelling enough to actually use it.

Good morning! I hope everyone's eggs are doing wonderfully!!!

My two are still going strong. I did candle last night again...I can't help it. I won't be looking at the eggs again till end of this wk...(I hope)

How often do yall candle??
Being as this is my first hatch...I think I wanna do it more than I need to 😆
I do a full candle normally at day 3, then around day 7, then day 12-14 then day 18. BUT I candle at least a few of them normally about every other day sometimes every day. I am so bad with candling. I just can't help myself. If I make it 2 days with out candling I am so proud of myself! haahaa. And I hatched a few batches last year and I think maybe 5 this year? so not really "new" anymore but still just as awesome!

My last egg quit too. 😫
I have another dozen plus coming and will try again. I've already spoken to the post office to let them know to hold and call, and the eggs are only shipping from 7 hrs away, instead of STATES away.

I've reset everything up on the incubator and am deciding (after some reading) to start with a lower humidity and work together with the air cell growth to determine which way in needs to go. I took my egg turners out of the incubator and will turn by hand starting around day 4 or 5. The eggs will rest 12-24 hrs depending upon what the air cells look like prior to going into the incubator. The incubator is up and running in preparation for the eggs, and so that I can become more familiar with it.

I'll be watching the thread I'm anticipation of hatching eggs!!!

Back
Top Bottom